Honored Contributor

Re: What kind of Thanksgiving are you having?

To be honest, I'd be just fine if I could stay home on Thanksgiving.  This is the only time we get 2 days off from work in a row without having to use vacation.   It would be nice to enjoy the long 4 days off instead of going somewhere Thanksgiving day and the day after, then spending the weekend cleaning and decorating.  

Honored Contributor

Quiet. We're going to do a drive by at a few relatives' to see everybody's smiling faces and safely drop off some food, and then a nice quiet turkey dinner to ourselves.

And video meetings with other relatives throughout the afternoon and evening. I am not looking forward to the new life task of scheduling video calls on the same day for family members. LOL maybe I'll send Outlook invites! Probably not.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

Just the 6 of us. First time EVER for DH and I to not have parents and friends join us. We're setting up the laptop at the end of the dining table and will have the grandparent "join" us via skype. They will be eating at the same time and will have at their "table" eating as well. This is as close as we can get to being together. We'll do the same thing over Christmas and New Years. 

May I just add.....it SUCKS. But, at least we're all alive and CAN do it so, we're grateful. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

The same Thanksgiving we always have; Turkey with all the accompanying foods.  Pies.  Cider.  The only difference will be it will only be the 5 of us who are living here and perhaps my niece.  No guests.  It will be a lovely Thanksgiving.

Valued Contributor

We’re going to my brother’s and SIL’s house and bringing the appetizers and wine. We’re having the delicious food we always do. The only difference is there won’t be as many people as usual.
Honored Contributor

As usual - very quiet.  

Respected Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

Quiet.  Only son is out of state.  My family is slowing dwindling.  Last year we had cornish hens - not sure what will take place.  Honestly, it's now just another day.  

Funny how you have large gatherings for years and years, plus you're working and figuring out how to go to both families homes and keep everyone happy.  I used to have to work the Friday and sometimes Saturday after Thanksgiving and it was the banking world and it was busy!  My staff had to draw straws to see who would get the day off (everyone wanted that day off so they could travel).   My MIL always was very sweet and had Thanksgiving on Saturday so the married sons could go to their wives families on the actual day.

I don't mind the quiet now - it's actually very relaxing not to have to run all over!

Years ago my brother used to work night differential hours.  His days off were Tues and Wed so for many years we'd have Thanksgiving on the day before. Have had T'giving at my sister's home for the past 5 or 6 years and she has a large group.  Told her this year I'm staying home - it's just me here and I'll either buy a small turkey or just make a chicken, mashed potatoes and a veggie or two.  I'm okay with that.