Honored Contributor

Re: What kind of Thanksgiving are you having?

@traveler  My Thanksgiving will be even quieter than I had thought.  Two weeks ago I was set to join 2 friends for the afternoon.  last week one ended up in hospital for emergency surgery and tomorrow I will accompany the other to her first meeting with a breast surgeon.  Suddenly holiday traditions slid to the bottom of our lists.  We’ll decide later, but if we do join together, what we eat most likely won’t be cooked in our own kitchens — being together would be special enough.

Valued Contributor

@PreKteacher wrote:

We are having dinner at home with 2 guests. I get a turkey breast and a ham from Honeybaked, then I make green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, stuffing, corn, broccoli, rolls, and pies. We stick to a traditional feast, but I quit making cranberry sauce because nobody eats it but me, LOL! 

@PreKteacher   I'm the only one who eats it, too!  Except when my son is home - he will eat it Smiley Happy   

Trusted Contributor

It's just my husband, me and our dog.  We are having cornish game hens, homemade stuffing, vegetable, rolls and pumpkin pie.  My mother passed away 2 months ago at the adult care home she lived in so it's been just us at Thanksgiving for many years now.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Friends are coming from California so we'll do all the traditional food. Then on Black Friday we will go to a little tourist town south of us for some shopping.

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

It's just my husband, me and our dog.  We are having cornish game hens, homemade stuffing, vegetable, rolls and pumpkin pie.  My mother passed away 2 months ago at the adult care home she lived in so it's been just us at Thanksgiving for many years now.

I'm so sorry for your loss, @LuvmyLab 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@traveler  My Thanksgiving will be even quieter than I had thought.  Two weeks ago I was set to join 2 friends for the afternoon.  last week one ended up in hospital for emergency surgery and tomorrow I will accompany the other to her first meeting with a breast surgeon.  Suddenly holiday traditions slid to the bottom of our lists.  We’ll decide later, but if we do join together, what we eat most likely won’t be cooked in our own kitchens — being together would be special enough.

That is a sad turn of events, @millieshops. Good luck to both your friends.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

It will just be DH and me. I looked into ordering thanksgiving dinner and taking the year off from cooking, but most places are no longer taking orders or the dinners available are just too big for the two of us, even with leftovers. Don't need a dinner that serves 12 people. I will still be roasting a turkey breast, making some dressing and sweet potatoes. I am baking some pecan pies for a few friends who will be alone this year and like the pies I make. DH likes pumpkin pie so I may make on or buy the big one at Costco and share half of it with DD. Thanksgiving 2020 is certainly going to be different. 

Honored Contributor

We were invited to one DD’s house for dinner but the kids will be there from college and bringing some friends! No way we will be putting ourselves in that situation. It will be nice to have the quiet and maybe take a walk if the weather is nice. Is there even a Macy’s parade this year?
Honored Contributor

Three people at our table. DH asked if I'd like to get a prepared meal from the local market but I can easily cook for us. I'll do my shopping a week in advance.

Honored Contributor

@traveler 

I honestly haven’t given it a thought. I live alone, family is far away.

My company will have a celebration a week before but I am not sure I will attend. I don’t want to eat a meal with a bunch of people even if I know them. It isn’t safe what with COVID-19. I might stay for the prayer and talk from our president and then leave.

I’m not even sure if I will make turkey this year. Maybe I will. It will mostly be a day off work and I will enjoy that.