Esteemed Contributor

Re: What items can I put in a care package for granddaughter going off to college

my granddaughter....first grandchild...is going off to college....i opened up a Visa account for her....she is a wonderful girl...so i know she will use it responsibly.....the look on her face was something i will never forget....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What items can I put in a care package for granddaughter going off to college

@arubakathy From experience they don't know what they forgot for a couple of days.  Space is limited so to much of anything causes storage issues.  If she has a room mate they may coordinate what works best.  Call or text her and ask for a list of things she needs/wants after a week or so. Cash is always welcome as is a visa for pizza deliveries.  Wait to see if she has access to target/walmart before sending gift cards.  Follow her lead, but snacks are always welcome.

Honored Contributor

@arubakathy   Did you know you can ask Google anything and get a usable answer?  Just for giggles, I put your title into the Google search bar.  I got a plethora of good ideas.  Try it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@arubakathy - I recommend toothpaste, soaps, shampoos, bath sponges, and snacks. You can find out which brands of these she likes. Think about Mac and cheese in the disposable bowls or ramen - a college student's staple! 

You could put these in a plastic storage container of some kind. College students need storage, but not something too big. That usually have to carry their items to the bathroom and bring them back to their rooms. You can find caddies for this purpose. 

If she likes makeup, you could check out tomorrow's TSV by Triforce, and put some combs, and makeup remover pads inside.

I used to give rolls of quarters for the washers and dryers as graduation gifts to some high school graduates. Depending where they go, they might still use these. They might use cards now. DS finished two years ago. I know he used quarters in his first dorm. 

Have fun shopping for her!   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@nana59  In my GS freshman year, his "other" grandparents opened up a Visa acct for him to use.  When they got the first bill, they were......

532149.giffaint.gif

Come to find out, he was treating ALL his friends & hanger-ons to the local fast food joints.

His father put a stop to that w/a quickness.  Told his parents to close out the acct & just send $$$$ &/or gift cards to fast food places.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Haven't read the replies but something to share with her roommate/s. 

Honored Contributor

@arubakathy 

One of the "traditions" that we have is a "joy" box, which is something that my aunt's church did for those who needed a bit of a "pick me up."  I use a shoebox sized box, and buy things that fit in it, and individually wrap them with a "hint" or clue about what to open for a particular mood.  I decorate the box with scrapbook paper, ribbons, stickers, duct tape, etc. and we have been sending the box back and forth for a few years now.

A lot depends on if she is living in a residence hall or an apartment and if she has a car.

She would probably appreciate a gas card or metro card, if she takes public transportation. 

She would certainly appreciate streaming services, like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime, if you wanted to pay the bill.

What I would have appreciated is different than what kids appreciate now, of course, but I like to find smaller items like-

Amazon.com : Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds 100 Calorie Pack (Pack of 4) :  Emerald Nuts : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Specialty tees or coffees-

microwave popcorn and a popper (so in my note I would say to open these two together)

Amazon.com: Ecolution Original Microwave Micro-Pop Popcorn Popper  Borosilicate Glass, 3-in-1 Silicone Lid, Dishwasher Safe, BPA Free, 3 Quart  Family Size, Red: Kitchen & Dining

Maybe a wireless charger, like this one-

What is wireless charging and do I need it? | Smartphones | The Guardian

Maybe one of these (or headbands)-

Amazon.com: Turbie Twist Microfiber 4 pack,Pink, Purple, Blue, Aqua:  Kitchen & Dining

Respected Contributor

Debit card.

If I'm not mistaken (and please correct me if I'm wrong) you can get one from your bank, have it loaded for let's say $100 and at various times you can authorize additional monies put on the card in months to come.

The dollar store has perfect sized treats (and named brand) products to also put in the box, cheese crackers, graham crackers, gum, candy, plastic utensils, snack puddings.

Honored Contributor

Things you know she likes.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

For a joke, put in a bottle of NoDoz.