Respected Contributor

Re: What is your favorite spice?

@momtochloe wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

Pepper

hn

@hckynut I hope you take this post in the spirit that it is intended but I do love me a straight forward answer . . . and it doesn't get any better than pepper.  Thanks for the smile my friend!  Smiley Happy

And to piggy back off of my response to @hckynut, after my mom passed I dove head first into the Penzy spice pool . . . oh goodness I was in the deep end in no time . . . but now that I have surfaced I have to say (for me) my favorite spice in my cabinet is their Shallot Salt.  I literally use it for every meal I prepare as I love a hint of onion and the salt is also mild.

@momtochloe, Now you have done it!  I love Penzy spices so now I have to go to get the Shallot Salt.  And do you know what that means?   I also walk out with at least 4 other concoctions that I want to try.   And by the way, I am placing full blame on you!  Woman LOL

I am sorry about the passing of your mother.  I lost my mother a year ago this past March.....it is hard to lose them! Heart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

My favorites are Rosemary and thyme. 

Esteemed Contributor

Spice I would have to say Fleur de Sel and fresh cracked pepper. If we are excluding those, Spices other than above would be hard to say. I have ones I use most often and my favorite. I probably use garlic powder most often but ancho chili powder, cumin, turmeric or saffron would be favorites. Fleur de Sel is my absolute favorite if you are counting the things you put it on, because I put it on everything savory and a lot of sweet and my sodium is still too low. 

Herbs would be chives, basil or cilantro.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

As for olive oil or butter, I usually use both. I like the flavor from butter but higher temp you can cook with oil.

I have been making infused olive oils for a long time though with garlic and other herbs and spices. I just made it with hot pepper flakes and sieve it out. I love a hot and spicy oil. 

I do not cut out oils either. I eat a healthy mostly unprocessed diet and your body needs oils and I can see a difference in my skin and hair when I skip them.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

'Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme'............Wasn't that a lovely song...............Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Geez, I didn't even think of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.. the warm spices. Add all of those. It is hard to pick just one.

Fresh Market charges almost $10 for about 6 nutmegs. I got a tip from a friend to look in the Latin section for nutmeg and now I get 6 for 69 cents! The chili powders are also much cheaper and better quality there too.

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

When I first started growing my own herbs, I had no idea mint could take over a whole garden. Now I put that in a seperate planter. 

Rosemary I can't kill. One year I had it in a separate planter and then the next year I decided to plant it in my garden so I left that rosemary planter under the deck and kind of forgot about it. It was alive and thriving the next year despite getting little rain under there and very little sun.

JFK
Honored Contributor

Yes!  Those hanging spices in cellophane wrappers are excellent spices.  And much more inexpensive than the bottled ones.  They probably all come from the same world-wide places, anyway.  Anyone here ever hear about the world-wide great Spice Trail (or something similar).  Many, many years ago, countries all over the world went through a great amount of endeavor to obtain and transport spices 'way-back-when'.  It was some type of documentary aired on a PBS station years ago.  Very interesting.  I recall taking lots of notes, but who knows where those notes are...........probably recycled. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Yes!  Those hanging spices in cellophane wrappers are excellent spices.  And much more inexpensive than the bottled ones.  They probably all come from the same world-wide places, anyway.  Anyone here ever hear about the world-wide great Spice Trail (or something similar).  Many, many years ago, countries all over the world went through a great amount of endeavor to obtain and transport spices 'way-back-when'.  It was some type of documentary aired on a PBS station years ago.  Very interesting.  I recall taking lots of notes, but who knows where those notes are...........probably recycled. 

YES @ROMARY, the nutmeg in the cellophane!! I don't know the name brand because I take it out of that and put it in a different container after I purchase it. I had no idea about these and was glad to learn about them. What a huge savings. 

Yes, I think I watched a show called the spice trail on BBC. Very interesting.

JFK
Honored Contributor

Yes, I have a cellophane  package each of whole and ground cloves; a package of anise seed; a package of cilantro.  All stored in a glass jar.  Oh, and star anise, too.  I recall infusing the star anise in vodka years ago to make 'annisette' liqueur.  It's stored away somewhere...........lol.