Valued Contributor

Re: What is your favorite pasta sauce? and pasta?

I eat tons of pasta because it is fast to cook.If I don't have time to prepare a meat tomato sauce (with

a pinch of sugar like other posters mentioned)I just use Marinelli sauce.

Please don't use Parmesan at all and buy Parmiggiano Reggiano.I tried coarse salt other than my favorite Baleine brand and pasta didn't taste good.

Next week I am going to Italy to visit my mom.I will be going to Venice by train for a day visit.It is about 50 minutes from my home.There is a restaurant where I had the best spaghetti with seafood ever.

My mom used to make a delicious clam sauce.I hope I can make it the same way.She has dementia so she might not remember the recipe.A fisherman still delivers fresh fish once a week door to door.

Honored Contributor

authentic Italian red sauce and rigatoni

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Not a huge pasta fan generally - it's very, very filling for me. I can literally eat half a dozen bites and be stuffed.

I like fettuccini Alfredo. I like manicotti, and gnocchi, tortellini and other small shapes, and angel hair pasta. Other than the fettuccini, for red sauces I like a simple, meatless light tomato sauce that's not loaded with cheap tomato sauce/paste and highly seasoned - I like my seasoning subtle.

I'm a fan of Italian dishes as native Italians cook them, and fairly dislike American Italian food served in most restaurants.

@Moonchilde

Your statement...............

I'm a fan of Italian dishes as native Italians cook them, and fairly dislike American Italian food served in most restaurants.

Being of Italian heritage on my mom's side....I agree with you 110%....some of this stuff served in restaurants is unrecogonizable as Italian food........!!!!  

Despite the numerous so called Italian restaurants here and numerous restaurant chains......there is only restaurant that me and my sister will eat Italian at, it's a mom and pop style place that serves real authentic Italian food!!!---just like my mom, grandparents, and great aunts made---YUM!   

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Out of the ones I've tried so far:  vodka sauce.  

With penne or rigatoni.

Respected Contributor

Prego and angel hair pasta. 

Respected Contributor

Sadly, for me, it's that dang high caloric Alfredo! It does not matter on the pasta!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We went out to eat Italian the other night at a new restaurant in town. I had the "Mushroom Forest Ravioli" over sauteed spinach in a sherry cream sauce. OMG! It was heavenly. I don't think I ever ordered ravioli in a restaurant before. Usually I stick to linguini or lasagna. I had been so turned off by Chef Boyardee ravioli and tamales as a child. I can't wait until I get back there again!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I recently had a fettucini alfredo with asparagus and sausage.   Oh boy, was that good.        Or linguini with vodka sauce.   In summer, I like a cold Orzo pasta and tuna salad with a light cucumber dill dressing.     What's not to like?    Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I recently had a fettucini alfredo with asparagus and sausage.   Oh boy, was that good.        Or linguini with vodka sauce.   In summer, I like a cold Orzo pasta and tuna salad with a light cucumber dill dressing.     What's not to like?    Woman LOL

@Tinkrbl44

I'm really starting to appreciate orzo.  Better-half makes a chicken/feta/dill thing with orzo and he also makes a killer pasta salad with orzo and vegetables -- and with the plump capers we get from Sicily.  Tasty by itself or topped with a slab of fish.

He makes a killer tuna casserole, too, but I'm going to drop a hint about a tuna-orzo combo.

Thanks!  Sounds perfect for summer. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44

I'm really starting to appreciate orzo.  Better-half makes a chicken/feta/dill thing with orzo and he also makes a killer pasta salad with orzo and vegetables -- and with the plump capers we get from Sicily.  Tasty by itself or topped with a slab of fish.

He makes a killer tuna casserole, too, but I'm going to drop a hint about a tuna-orzo combo.

Thanks!  Sounds perfect for summer. Heart

@just bee

IMO,  A good vegetable in the Tuna Orzo pasta salad are fresh peas.   

BTW -----  My sister had some serious dental work done recently and couldn't really chew very much.   She added some cooked orzo to either chicken broth or tomato soup and it "kept her alive" for a couple days, until she could finally chew a little bit.