Honored Contributor

Re: What is wrong with the good ol USA?

[ Edited ]

Yet there are companies that do manage to make clothing in the US who still have prices that are reasonable and less than QVC's. I saw several recently online with clothing and children's things. Just search American made....

and here's a thought-maybe QVC felt they had to raise prices even though made in China on cheap labor because people aren't taking a chance on buying clothing with the sizing differences and shipping return not being reimbursed anymore.

So the usual money maker on shipping didn't pay off so they had to raise the price on the clothing itself. I think they will lose all the way around if they don't come up with better marketing strategies.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have, and would put a dent in my wallet to buy USA made. I did my entire remodel with USA products. It took work, but I did it..  I take great pride in that, and I learned a lot. Except most nails and screws are imported.  

That said, I do have to say, it is easier to build with American made supplies and fixtures than it  is to find clothes made in the USA.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it could be deemed political.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@pinky one    Susan Graver has never said all her clothing is made in America.  Sometimes she mentions that a particular item is made in the USA.  There aren't enough garment manufacturers left in this country to make clothing for the entire nation even if designers wanted to exclusively use them.

Our textile industry was all but gone. It is making a small, slow comeback, but people have to be willing to pay the price our workers need, and the profits our companies want. 

I personally feel if the quality is there, people will buy it. Most of today's clothing is less than rag quality, and I think the American consumer is starving for quality product.

Frequent Contributor

Yes they are made in China and in no way are they as good material are as good in any way.  I still have lots of clothes from Susan before they were made in China.  They do not compare now and that goes for many other products from QVC.  I have virtually quit ordering clothes from QVC for this reason.  I my muchly regret to have to say that but it is true.

Esteemed Contributor

@pinky one wrote:

I have been watching Susan Graver for most of today.  I have been of the opinion that while I think her clothing line consists of beautiful pieces the prices, I feel have gone very high.  I really do not believe that the average person working or not can afford some of her pieces. A simple top that maybe costs $43.00 for example, add the shipping and tax and we are talking $50.00.  And I love when Susan Graver and the host suggest getting one in every color. Maybe these comments are geared to upper middle class women?   

The other issue that is more concerning to me; just previewed a very nice striped cowl-neck top and when they zoomed in on the neckline the tag said this item was Made in China.  I can recall Susan Graver boasting that her clothing was made in the USA?  If in fact her clothing is manufactured in China, this is very disappointing.  As we are facing one of the most contentious presidential election in the history of our country and one of the key issues being bringing jobs back to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, my decision to start building a wardrobe out of this line of clothing is absolutely on hold.  Seriously, there have got to be people in this country that can do the job.  

JUST SAYING!  And I am not yelling just want to make my point.  Someone out there has to feel the same way, right??  

@pinky one I DO!!!!

Respected Contributor

Around 15 years ago, I changed a career focus and moved out of working in a hospital where I wore uniforms or scrubs everyday to a position that I needed more traditional work clothes.   I happened upon QVC and saw Susan Graver.  I was very leary, but I did order a pair of black peachskin pants.  They arrived, they fit, and I was pleased.

So I returned and ordered 3 more pair of the same pants in other basic colors (navy, tan, gray).  At the time she also sold one button jackets that would certainly work back to those pants.

Today, I still have those articles of clothing and still wear them.  When I tell people how old those pants are, people can't believe it and want to know about QVC.  lol.  I don't think she sells the peachskin fabric any longer though.  I surprised myself and picked wisely to select items such as the pants and jackets that were not trendy.  Those items have been work horses in my wardrobe for sure.  And to this day, those items still look great.  They have not faded, no stitching coming loose, etc. 

I can't remember what I paid for those pants, but they were worth every penny and I sure got my money's worth out of them!

If articles of clothing are well made and hold up well, they are worth a little more.  As I stated, I can't vouch for current items, but the ones I bought were well worth my investment at the time. 

So I think how much one spends on items depends on how much they can afford, how well one thinks the quality the item is, how flexible the article of clothing is in working with other items in your closet,  and how much you will actually wear the garment.  I will gladly pay for garments made in the US if they meet the requirements above.  But I also know that they would probably cost more for reasons other posters have already cited. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

The problem is that we as a nation are schizophrenic about this issue.  We demand and insist on the absolute rock bottom price for the clothing we purchase but then want to know why it isn't made in the US.    It is not made in the US because American workers are paid a lot more  then workers in foreign countries who work in these factories and clothing manufacturers have discovered that Americans will not purchase garments at the higher price point they would have to charge to,have them made in the US.  The OP's post is a perfect example of this.  On one hand she is complaining that Graver clothing is too pricey but then she is angry because the clothing is made in China.   I can guarantee that if these items were made in the US the cost would be even higher and please let us not have the statements that people will pay more to get made in the US products because that simply is not true.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet

I can understand and agree with what you are saying but I also think that QVC's prices have risen far beyond what is reasonable .

I can only think that they must be really hurting and hoping people will still buy.

Their clothing is overpriced from what I see from other retailers and certainly if labor is so cheap overseas, there is NO justification for these prices unless its total greed or they are just delusional, but hoping there will be enough people that will still buy.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

It doesn't matter how we "feel" nor whether we "feel" the same as you. Because this is a free country, you have the privilege of buying whatever you want with whatever criteria suits you as does everyone else. 

Some of this line is made in the USA, some is not. Susan Graver is very clear to point out which items are able to be manufactured onshore. 

The fabric mills and sewing factories that existed many years ago in the United States no longer exist. We no longer have a workforce of Americans who are trained to sit and sew garments day in and day out. We have localized sewing workshops but most of the sewers are foreign workers who are willing to take these low paying jobs. Cleaning someone's home usually pays better as do many other jobs - in home daycare, taxi driving, elder care. It is rare to find a home ec class that teaches sewing these days. 

So so it is easy to profess a commitment to domestically produced goods and it is great if you can afford to buy these goods. I applaud you. After working in the garment industry, I am happy to see your dedication to paying for workers comp insurance, benefits and a hopefully living wage for workers living and paying taxes in the USA.