Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is wrong with the good ol USA?

LOL  tansy, good point! Woman LOL

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@pinky one wrote:

I have been watching Susan Graver for most of today.  I have been of the opinion that while I think her clothing line consists of beautiful pieces the prices, I feel have gone very high.  I really do not believe that the average person working or not can afford some of her pieces. A simple top that maybe costs $43.00 for example, add the shipping and tax and we are talking $50.00.  And I love when Susan Graver and the host suggest getting one in every color. Maybe these comments are geared to upper middle class women?   

The other issue that is more concerning to me; just previewed a very nice striped cowl-neck top and when they zoomed in on the neckline the tag said this item was Made in China.  I can recall Susan Graver boasting that her clothing was made in the USA?  If in fact her clothing is manufactured in China, this is very disappointing.  As we are facing one of the most contentious presidential election in the history of our country and one of the key issues being bringing jobs back to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, my decision to start building a wardrobe out of this line of clothing is absolutely on hold.  Seriously, there have got to be people in this country that can do the job.  

JUST SAYING!  And I am not yelling just want to make my point.  Someone out there has to feel the same way, right??  

I do.

I agree, the clothing here is expense. SG has a pretty liquid knit top, but $60 is a lot.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@pinky one    Susan Graver has never said all her clothing is made in America.  Sometimes she mentions that a particular item is made in the USA.  There aren't enough garment manufacturers left in this country to make clothing for the entire nation even if designers wanted to exclusively use them.

Think how much more expensive clothing will cost to us if made in the USA again -- you would have to give Americans a fair living wage. Unlike overseas, where wages are much less for the factory workers.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

OP,  there are many people who like Susan Graver's clothing and don't believe it's expensive and gladly pay $$ to buy her products.  Having said that, I'm not one of them.

It's the hosts job to sell, sell, sell and they make comments like, 'buy one in every color' to persuade consumers they NEED this stuff. 

There was (is?) a thread started by Lolakimono about living paycheck to paycheck.  We all should live within our budget(s) and not listen to salesmen pitches. 

Also, I know ABC news did an experiment a few years ago - building and furnishing a hose with only American made products.  They were successful.  There are manufacturers out there for what you want - seek them out.  

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

Yes, @pinky one

I do feel just the same!

I will just add that Susan will say when a clothing item is made in the US and repeat it several times, saying she is so proud of that and tries to have them made in the US as often as possible. Well, good, but I too wish they all could be (as maybe she does but is restricted by what QVC will agree to re prices) and I wish her prices were not so high as well.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

There are studies and books written on this very complex issue. There are no easy, simplistic answers when it's so much cheaper to make things overseas and exchange rates complicate matters. I am not defending the practice, but it's easy rob see why it happened. 

New Contributor

I stand corrected.  Now that I think back it is only certain pieces that Susan Graver specifically denotes being made in the USA.  Perhaps it's high time to change the fact/reality that there aren't enough garment manufacturers in this country.  If we can send a man to the moon, this should be  a piece of cake. Hopeful.  And thankful each and every day to live in this country.  

Respected Contributor

@pinky one wrote:

I have been watching Susan Graver for most of today.  I have been of the opinion that while I think her clothing line consists of beautiful pieces the prices, I feel have gone very high.  I really do not believe that the average person working or not can afford some of her pieces. A simple top that maybe costs $43.00 for example, add the shipping and tax and we are talking $50.00.  And I love when Susan Graver and the host suggest getting one in every color. Maybe these comments are geared to upper middle class women?   

The other issue that is more concerning to me; just previewed a very nice striped cowl-neck top and when they zoomed in on the neckline the tag said this item was Made in China.  I can recall Susan Graver boasting that her clothing was made in the USA?  If in fact her clothing is manufactured in China, this is very disappointing.  As we are facing one of the most contentious presidential election in the history of our country and one of the key issues being bringing jobs back to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, my decision to start building a wardrobe out of this line of clothing is absolutely on hold.  Seriously, there have got to be people in this country that can do the job.  

JUST SAYING!  And I am not yelling just want to make my point.  Someone out there has to feel the same way, right??  

It's a sales pitch. It's aimed at QVC customers. I believe I read several years ago that the average household income for the typical QVC shopper was $100,000. So the price in today's dollars seems to be in line with their consumers.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@pinky oneAs someone who was born in the good ol' USA just a few weeks before Pearl Harbor was bombed, I can tell you that everyone could never afford to buy everything they saw, everything they wanted, nor everything they needed.  Further, if you're living for that, I guarantee you you're going to be very unhappy.

Yes, some of Susan's garments are made elsewhere.  She is in good company on that.  So are many of other brands sold at the Q, so are many brands sold at Macys and Kohls and Amazon and Walmart and..... except for the few small companies that actually do sell exclusively made in the USA items. 

Would I find some in your closet or dresser?  Probably.

Trusted Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@pinky one    Susan Graver has never said all her clothing is made in America.  Sometimes she mentions that a particular item is made in the USA.  There aren't enough garment manufacturers left in this country to make clothing for the entire nation even if designers wanted to exclusively use them.

Think how much more expensive clothing will cost to us if made in the USA again -- you would have to give Americans a fair living wage. Unlike overseas, where wages are much less for the factory workers.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. The reason why stuff is manufactured overseas is because there aren't minimum wages and labor laws like those in the USA. Other countries pay their workers less, so you benefit by paying less in the end. If SG started to manufacture here, people would become outraged at how high the prices would rise. People would stop waving their flags very quickly if they saw how much buying American would put a dent in their wallets.