Respected Contributor

Re: What is with the fascination about Facebook?

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't understand what the fascination is with those who do FB.  LOL

You either want to do it or you don't.  I know plenty of people who don't do FB.  They aren't interested and that is fine.  But they aren't constantly going around asking why anyone does FB, what the big deal is with it, etc.  They just refrain from it.

FB is what you make of it.  I have stayed connected with friends from high school who live out of my area.  I have stayed connected with family who live out of state. 

I share a lot of posts about animals in need of homes, lost animals, found animals, etc.  Believe it or not, many times these animals are returned to their owner because of FB sharing and someone recognizes the lost animal.  

One of the best ways to get satisfaction from a company is to complain on their social media.  DH and I were having major problems with a local company that installed our a/c.  Nothing was getting resolved.  I got fed up and went on their FB page and left my opinion about the way things were being handled and the next day, which was a Sunday, I received a phonecall from the owner and that day someone was at our house and my problem was resolved. 

@Lipstickdiva - EXACTLY, and why I came back to this thread.  I was going to share about the Lost & Found pets facebook groups and the animal rescue groups that are on my facebook.  We have reunited hundreds of lost pets with their owners.  We've saved numerous animals from horrible conditions and abuse.  It's a wonderful thing to be able to reach out to so many in seconds.

In reading this thread, it's interesting to read the anti-fb posts and their reasoning and speaks much louder about themselves and their opinions of people they claim are friends and family than it does about their friends and families and the facebook community itself!

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I opened an acct. around the first couple of years and lasted about a two months before I closed it out.  I had people from all over I had never heard of wanting to be my friend only because they knew someone at the church or gym or club I was a member of.  It drove me crazy so I said no thanks.  I still do not have an acct. do not see the need.

I get that too -- I just ignore their friend request.  

You can even set your profile to be unsearchable -- problem completely solved!

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I guess you can call me anti-social. I don't and never have had a FB page.(is this correct grammar? lol)

I think it is hilarious that some people feel that you are anit-social if you don't "do" social media, lol! Actually, I consider those that actually interact face to face or actually talk to each other truly social people. I like to get a group of us together and we chat about everything. It isn't the same trying to do it over FB or Twitter or Google+.

I get together regularly with family and friends as well but I also do FB.  They aren't mutually exclusive.

The difference is that if I didn't do FB, I wouldn't be able to keep in regular contact with my relatives who live in California or Tennessee or Virginia who only come here once a year, if that.  As nice as it sounds for people to say if they want to speak with someone they will call them, the fact of the matter is, many times it just doesn't happen.  People lose touch.  People are busy with other family, their kids, work, outside activities, etc.      

I never once said it was.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

Even though it is now 2016, I also don't get the fascination with the microwave.

Now, I can really appriciate an open flame hearth to cook on.  Food will be hot and really tastes wonderful.  But they don't let me cook that way in my inner city highrise apartment.

LOL so true. I grew up with microwaves but all I have ever used them for is to heat water up for my tea and sometimes reheat food up, both things I can also do easily without a microwave. I'd much rather cook on an open flame on my BBQ or stove or use the oven.

Valued Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana I too have used Facebook to get some things resolved with companies that I was having a problem with. I got a Free Remote from Sleep Number Bed when I complained that the company was forcing me to buy a whole new unit. Someone private messaged me and said they were sorry for how I was treated and for my trouble..we'll send you your new remote for free..Thak you facebook.

I resolved an issue with T=Mobile,when i was getting the runaround from Customer Service..Once again a private message on facebook and problem resolved.

So, Facebook is a VERY POWERFUL TOOL!

Honored Contributor

@CouponQueen wrote:

To further add..I think a lot of it has to do with technology if you like the smart/apple phones ..you usually will like FB or other social media type programs. It is what the younger generation grew up with and it has been accepted by a wide variety of people.

Generational gap I think at times..along with technology..

To some extent, yes. But don't assume that no one over the age of 60 can be techie 😉 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@CouponQueen wrote:

To further add..I think a lot of it has to do with technology if you like the smart/apple phones ..you usually will like FB or other social media type programs. It is what the younger generation grew up with and it has been accepted by a wide variety of people.

Generational gap I think at times..along with technology..

To some extent, yes. But don't assume that no one over the age of 60 can be techie 😉 

This is so true!  My soon-to-be- 82 year old mother has a smartphone & tablet (I have neither) as well as a laptop.  She is on Facebook and LOVES it!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Good point about using facebook to get a problem resolved with a company.  I've only done that once, private messaged and got a phone call within a couple of days.  :-)

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@CLEM wrote:

I sure don't get it.  About 5 years ago, I signed up and soon had all these people wanting to be my "friend".  I actually was able to find some lost friends, but then you are supposed to post to your "wall".  And on top of it facebook sent me an e-mail every time someone left a message.  I then found out that Facebook went into my e-mail address book and sent an e-mail to every one on the list telling them that I want them to sign up on Facebook. So I closed my account.

On Sunday I decided to reactivate my account and there seemed an endless number of people who just needed to be my "friend".  Deactivated it today.

Is there something I just don't get?

Perhaps you are too anti-social to "get it".  I've reconnected with high school and grade school friends.  It's fun when you have the right attitude. 

There is nothing 'anti social' about not wanting to commit so much time and effort on a social media where you feel watched and hounded constantly. 

People can go on about the privacy settings etc. but really there is no privacy with Facebook, and the drama that comes with most times is simply not worth the time or effort.

It becomes one of those things that once you join, everyone expects you to participate all day every day, respond to them about every little thing, and easily invades too much of your daily life. 

I choose not to engage in social media (unless this is considered to be, and it is the only forum in which I participate), won't apologize for it, and spend my time being legitimately 'social' face to face with the people in my life.

Honored Contributor

I love facebook but it doesn't control me. I don't discuss politics, religion or any other subject that would cause friction, my friends and family know this. I don't post evry ache and pain, what I had for breakfast, lunch or dinner but I will post an occasional joke or photos from cat and dog sites.

I have four surviving siblings and I keep in touch with their kids, my nieces and nephews who are scattered all over the country. One niece in North Carolina is a great cook and posts her creations, another keeps the family up to date with adorable photos of her 3 year old twins. I don't see them face to face often enough but FB keeps the family close with one another. My extended family stretches from coast to coast and eight states.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson