Honored Contributor

Re: What is with the censorship?

@gardenman wrote:

Part of the problem is the standards aren't always followed and are vague enough that pretty much anything can be poofed on a whim. The other day they let a post about the debates (political) stay up for hours. There was also a post about another rival forum (also against the standards) that was allowed to stay up for hours. Other posts that are perfectly innocuous will get poofed while some that clearly violate the standards stay up. 

This is it in a nutshell. There is not real consistency here about what goes, what stays, for how long and when. 

Some posters seem to get poofed for nothing, others seem to have some 'in' with the mods, as their most violating topics/posts/insults/accusations stand again and again.

Esteemed Contributor

I was involved with a thread during the debates which was very civil and interesting but we knew it was against standards.  However, it was interesting to hear the views of other QVC shoppers.  We were eventually poofed but we can't complain as QVC has standards and rules and we broke the rules.  I suspect a poster notified QVC as inappropriate as we managed to keep the convo going until the next day.  So if someone reported it as offensive and inappropriate, they had no choice but to remove it.  I don't think it is the political thread that is inappropriate but when people discuss politics, discussions become heated and posters often attack each other and make abusive remarks.  The political thread was very civil and it was interesting to see opposing viewpoints. Too bad, because it was fun. 

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

What is with the boring, constantly repetitive, always contentious posts from "new posters" who already know that this is a moderated board with posted STANDARDS????

Bingo

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

The main problem here is that some people feel empowered to do anything they want and say anything they want at any time any where.  THAT is the problem.  

Some people don't get that they sometimes have to follow rules and that sometimes things aren't just as they would like them.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

You need to be more specific, nobody knows what you are talking about........

Agree.  And if we answer, do we answer three times, one for each question mark?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Karnerblue wrote:

What censorship?  I don't think there is censorship.  It's rather simple  - there are rules and guidelines, follow them and you'll be fine.  Break them and pay the consequences.  It's all clearly stated in the community guidelines you read and agreed to.

Well, no not quite because the rules are enforced differently and - at times so it appears to us - arbitrarily.   Also, there really is no need to remove an entire thread for one rule-breaking post - just remove that post.

So, while I don't agree with your statement, I do absolutely agree that this is QVC's board with QVC's rules and QVC's interpretation of those rules, so QVC can remove anything it wants to, even though IMO the rules are enforced arbitrarily at times.

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman touched upon my concern: consistency.  Many times I've see a post deleted then another person comes along and posts the same thing or something ten times worse, but it doesn't get deleted.  I'm not challenging the initial deletion, but I question the fairness of penalizing one person while letting others get away with it. Yes, it's their board and they can do what they want.  I just think the Standards should be equally and evenly applied.

Respected Contributor

If you ask specifically why something is removed then it is challenging the moderators.

Plus everyone has to agree on everything or thread becomes unkind or unfriendly and is removed.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

What is with the boring, constantly repetitive, always contentious posts from "new posters" who already know that this is a moderated board with posted STANDARDS????

Good point. Didn't the OP say she was banned from the HSN forums?  I don't remember why, but that should give a person a clue that one must abide by the standards set by a community chat board or risk being banned from participation.

I don't buy into the paranoia that some posters have an "in" with the moderators.  Everyone and I mean everyone has a post poofed at some point.  Don't take it personally.  Just move on and don't obssess on why yours was banned and another person's was not.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greenhouse wrote:

I was involved with a thread during the debates which was very civil and interesting but we knew it was against standards.  However, it was interesting to hear the views of other QVC shoppers.  We were eventually poofed but we can't complain as QVC has standards and rules and we broke the rules.  I suspect a poster notified QVC as inappropriate as we managed to keep the convo going until the next day.  So if someone reported it as offensive and inappropriate, they had no choice but to remove it.  I don't think it is the political thread that is inappropriate but when people discuss politics, discussions become heated and posters often attack each other and make abusive remarks.  The political thread was very civil and it was interesting to see opposing viewpoints. Too bad, because it was fun. 

@Stray, I agree that that thread was for the most part civil, but there were some snarky posts on it and one political group was starting to get bashed (the party holding the debate).  I think you are remembering it as more civil than it was although, given its subject matter, it was -- as I already stated ---for the most part civil. Smiley Happy

I knew it wouldn't last as soon as I saw it, though, because it was against the rules here.  And I agreed with a poster who commented that the mods must not have been on duty, and figured they deleted it the next morning when they were on duty. Smiley Happy