Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: What is the worse thing you have ever smelled

Maple syrup - like Aunt Jemina's or Log Cabin. 

Many years ago, my friend and I went to breakfast.  We both had the same exact breakfast - pancakes w/bacon & coffee.

That night my sister and her hubby went to her work's Christmas party and I babysat my nephews.  During the day my stomach started bothering me, but I didn't think much of it.  Well ... that night, while watching a 4-1/2 year old and 1 year old, I got sick like you would not believe.  And all I remember is the smell of maple syrup coming out of me.

To this day, 24 years later, I cannot tolerate the smell, and even the look, of syrup.  I cannot even go down that aisle of the supermarket without gagging!

And of course when I took my nephews out to eat, they always wanted pancakes!  

It's a little way over the top all these years later.  

Respected Contributor

1. A local CAFO spreads urine/feces from their several thousand pent up pigs on their farm fields several times a year.  Ugh.  Seriously, we went past that farm on our way home from a field trip with a bus full of elem kids. All of a sudden almost all of the children started coughing, choking and gagging.  Everyone was scrambling to close their windows which had been open because the weather was warm.  Too late.  The smell had already gotten in and it was disgusting. 

2. Billy goats.  Once you smell that you never forget. 

Honored Contributor

We live in an area where there are a lot of Amish farms.  The worst smell is the liquid fertilizer they spray on their fields.  Smiley Sad  When driving by it takes your breath away even if you close your windows, and not in a good way.  It is awful!

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

The smell of super strong laundry detergent and dryer sheets. Gives me an instant headache. 

Honored Contributor

cashmere mist perfume...gags me for some reason.

Honored Contributor

The sulphur in well water.  Many years ago we rented a very nice home for one year on a short term transfer for work.  This house only had well water and while cooking and drinking with bottled water was a pain to do it least was an option.  Showering and washing my hair there was just nothing I could do about the smell as the water hit me.  Had to stand there and take it.  When we got to move home my husband commented we would finally be wearing clean clothes on clean bodies after all that stink. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

A dead squirrel some boys in the neighborhood decide to cremate in our old inceneration trash can in the early 60's. Smelled the whole neighborhood up. Also..... a person we know has the worst smelling feet I have ever smelled.  You don't dare ask him to take his shoes off....even if they do have mud on them.  It's easier to deal with the mud!  

Honored Contributor

I worked in a morgue. There were 'things' too indescribable to mention here.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I worked in a morgue. There were 'things' too indescribable to mention here.

You worked in a morgue, that would scare me too death!! No really ,i would not be able to get that out of my mind.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Garlic!!!!  Needless to say we don't eat out alot..I can barely walk thru resturaunt parking lots, the smell coming out gags me...Smiley Sad