Super Contributor

Re: What is the very best, (and inexpensive) skin, hair, nails supplement?

HHS&N has never made me nauseaus the delivery is capsule form. I could never take vites in hard tablet form, made me sick. A lot of my hair grew back after a major shed and I credit the Biotin and MSM in HHS&N. from what I've read, MSM extends the growth cycle. My hair is way longer than it ever grew before without vites/supplements.

Respected Contributor

Hi, J, I mean that I tried biotin at his suggestion originally, at least 10 yrs ago, during menopause. It's still working for me, though.

My stylist recommended Nioxin shampoo, but it is apparently one of the many things I am allergic to, so it didn't work for me as it does for many people.

Respected Contributor

I've been taking Lessman's Healthy Hair, Skin & Nails supplement for about 18 months with noticeable results in my nails which used to be thin & peeling. To be fair, though, I've never tried any other brand of supplement for this purpose so I can't compare it with anything else. I will say that when I run out of my current supply, I will be looking for a drugstore brand that costs less.

Respected Contributor

Janna.....I snack on raw cashews for great skin as it has a high copper content. Plus, I take a tbsp of flax oil in my salad or just take a tbsp if not eating a salad that day. I buy the house brand at Whole Foods. Promotes healthy skin, hair and nails.

Super Contributor

I know Flax oil is wonderful for acne............taking it by mouth.

Super Contributor

I used Biotin, Vitamin A............MSM for nails but it have never worked for me.......I see what is in the Hair Skin and Nail Vitamins and I buy each of the products because I felt they were cheaper but it did not help my nails.......they are doing better now and I believe that is due to JarroSil.................hair, skin, nail, bone and collagen.........I use 10 drops per day in water.........it is a silicon SILICON supplement............the three bottles I have expire in October so I have to not forget to take them..........BioSil sells them also and I have read that people like that better but since I have these I am going to use them up and probably use them after the date and I also take Sea Kelp Iodine.............4-5 drops a day in water. Biotin never did a thing for me and I have been on it for 14 years and I stopped using it about 3-4 months ago seems like.

Super Contributor

I take Biotin, MSM and B. I've taken them for years. They are not expensive and my nails grow very fast and they are strong. The brand I take is Nature's Made.

Super Contributor

I just went to look at the price tag on my GNC biotin but there isn't one. It's not exorbitant because I wouldn't buy it then. I've been taking it for a couple of years. I haven't noticed any difference in my hair because I have good hair to begin with but there is a phenomenal difference in my nails. I have never been able to grow my nails due to splitting and breaking and now, every time I clip them, they grow full again in 3 weeks! Of course, I've also been eating more fish (salmon) which also helps. For skin I use tretinoin.

I'm a little concerned about the 5,000 mcg of biotin because I think I remember reading that long term safety has not really been studied.

ETA: Oh, just read about the throwing up. I have a sensitive stomach and these are no problem for me.

Super Contributor

I have learned that the best and cheap don't fit together...........better product higher price. But it is worth it many times in the long run. Yet, no research is really done on vitamins and it is a billion dollar industry with no FDA checking up on them. I feel stupid for all the $$$$$ I have spent in my lifetime and never felt any different or saw any different results.

Respected Contributor

Here's a bit of advice I got from a doctor who's family is in the vitamin business: there is really NO difference between name brand and store brand vitamins and supplements. Just check to see if the vitamins are made in the U.S. There are very few production facilities and the major store brands use the same facilities as the name brands.