Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is the strangest thing you've seen in someones yard?

I live in a residential neighborhood in a university town. The strangest things

I have seen belong to my neighbors across the street. Their daughter had a calf when she belonged to 4H. She could not give the calf up so now the cow is a pet...a HUGE pet. They also got two sheep and their home is filled with birds, I try to ignore it all. There is nothing legal keeping them from having any animal pets so we just live with the bellowing and the smells.

Super Contributor

The people down the street have their vegetable garden in their front yard.  (I guess they get better sun there???)  They have an area fenced off and grow everything from tomatoes to corn.  It looks really strange. Their garden is tucked up toward their house and isn't exactly in the middle of their front yard, but it still looks weird.

This many not sound too strange, but it is highly irregular in our residential neighborhood. This home is in the $600K price range and in a development, not a stand-alone in a rural setting.

To each his own, I guess.  I'm just surprised the HOA hasn't made them plow it under!

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

A decorative outhouse in the front yard.

Ha!  The words 'decorative' and 'outhouse' really don't seem to go together in my mind.  Smiley Happy

My first thought was, "There's no such thing."

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

A variety of animal skulls all over the yard, the fence, and bones hanging from trees...and NOT for Halloween, it's all the time, reminds me of the TEXAS CHAINSAW  MASACRE house!

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

A decorative outhouse in the front yard.

Ha!  The words 'decorative' and 'outhouse' really don't seem to go together in my mind.  Smiley Happy

DH and I watch Buying Alaska a lot and you would be surprised how elaborate some of the outhouses are. One of them I saw with lighting by a chandelier. 

Respected Contributor

Nearby is a community with few restrictions about landscaping.  In there is a home that has created a jungle scene in their front yard.  They have life size tigers, giraffes,  and monkeys in their yard.  I assume they are made of some type of resin.  They are tucked in among much foliage. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

A man lived a couple blocks away and had dementia. He would go walking around the neighborhood and steal things out of people 's yards and take them home for his yard. He had lawn chairs,chaise lounges,all kinds of statues. One had a bra hanging off it. Bikes so many. Could not see his grass. I was missing a angel statue from my yard went past his house it was on his steps. I let him keep it he needed it more than me. Also so many potted plants lined the side walk. Poor man passed away so a big dumpster came and it all went in there along with my angel. 

Esteemed Contributor

a statoue of a Mowai....

Respected Contributor

the worst in our neighborhood is the fake deer and rabbits and we are overrun with them to the point of over procreation to the max.

Honored Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

My old neighbor used to have tires ( and a lot of them) as planters ...with plastic flowers in them all over the place

Isn't that the height of tackiness - to plant plastic flowers in your beds.  There's a woman in my condo association that does that.  She leaves them out all winter long.  It's bizarre.  I wonder if she thinks it's beautiful or is fooling anyone.