Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,417
Registered: ‎02-09-2016

Re: What is the point of pulling up old threads

Maybe by error.I may have done it a time or two myself. Just see a topic and then relize that it's old..

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,253
Registered: ‎03-15-2010

Re: What is the point of pulling up old threads

to the OP: why does it bother you so much? Is it all that important?

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,941
Registered: ‎03-30-2010

Re: What is the point of pulling up old threads

I try to check if a subject has already been discussed.  If so, I add my comments there even if the original post was several months ago.  

This seems to be a case of being wrong no matter what.  If a new thread is started and one on the same subject has been done, we hear about "beating a dead horse".  If an old thread gets new life, we hear about resurrecting old posts.  Can't win. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,580
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: What is the point of pulling up old threads

The Mod has now said twice in this thread that a thread has to be older than a year to be considered thread bumping.

 

Sometimes I believe there are glitches on this board.  A couple of times there was a thread on the first page of a forum so I opened it and without looking at the date, responded.  Then I realized it was a couple of years old.  I have no idea how it got to the first page.  Mine was the first response on it in years, there was no deletion of a post indicated and I didn't bump it up.  But somehow, there it was.  

 

I've seen this happen to other posters to who aren't thread bumpers. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,364
Registered: ‎05-01-2010

Re: What is the point of pulling up old threads


@Lipstickdiva wrote:

The Mod has now said twice in this thread that a thread has to be older than a year to be considered thread bumping.

 

Sometimes I believe there are glitches on this board.  A couple of times there was a thread on the first page of a forum so I opened it and without looking at the date, responded.  Then I realized it was a couple of years old.  I have no idea how it got to the first page.  Mine was the first response on it in years, there was no deletion of a post indicated and I didn't bump it up.  But somehow, there it was.  

 

I've seen this happen to other posters to who aren't thread bumpers. 


@Lipstickdiva.  Yes, I have had that happen to me. I responded to a thread and then realized it was old and I was the first to respond. I didn’t bring it up from anywhere, it was just there.

Yes, I saw the Mod respond twice. I don’t think everyone reads all the posts. Just the first and responds.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,184
Registered: ‎10-26-2010

Re: What is the point of pulling up old threads

 

Maybe threads more than a year old should be deleted. What's the point in keeping them?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,512
Registered: ‎06-27-2010

Re: What is the point of pulling up old threads

[ Edited ]

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

 

Maybe threads more than a year old should be deleted. What's the point in keeping them?


 

            @Daisy Sunflower,  The older threads can be really helpful for reference, such as recipe threads mentioned earlier in this discussion.   The problem lies in keeping them open for bumping.  That could easily be remedied with a "programming 101" piece of code that would loop through older threads (perhaps those with the most recent reply older than one year from today's date, so basically inactive for a year or more) and simply close them to additional comments.   It would take a programmer only a few minutes to create the code, and then it could run as a maintenance program to periodically close threads once they met the criteria.

             The problem seems to be that QVC opted for cheap, basic "canned" website software that doesn't permit any enhancements, so we seem to be stuck with this rather archaic, glitchy, and not-user-friendly website.

 

 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 138
Registered: ‎08-07-2018

Re: What is the point of pulling up old threads

@Beth-QVC- thank you. I see that you did post this info before I commented. Not sure how I missed that but I did! Sorry!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,325
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: What is the point of pulling up old threads

@FuzzyFace  It just does, why did you feel the need to comment

 


@FuzzyFace wrote:

to the OP: why does it bother you so much? Is it all that important?


 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.