Honored Contributor

Re: What is the oldest thing you own?

@Shanus My engagement ring from my DH was his mother's and before that his grandmother's. She had gotten married in 1885, so I assume the diamond  is from 1885. It has been reset numerous times. Once for DH's mom and twice by DH for me.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Shanus My engagement ring from my DH was his mother's and before that his grandmother's. She had gotten married in 1885, so I assume the diamond  is from 1885. It has been reset numerous times. Once for DH's mom and twice by DH for me.

@151949  That’s definitely something to treasure. It has sentimental value to so many people before you. Love to think about the romantic secrets that ring holds.

Honored Contributor

@Catiele wrote:

My oldest is my mother’s diamond. It is a mined stone with a tiny hole at the bottom. The man my father bought it from a man he knew who said another lady wore it before it became her engagement ring. I wear it with my wedding band. For Christmas my husband had it put in a new setting. It just sparkles. Jeweler said it has a lot of light. I treasure it.

@Catiele. A mind cut diamond is a very old cut. The hole in the bottom, I’m guessing, was made to remove any imperfections. Today a laser is used to do the same thing. Enjoy your beautiful “new” ring.

Respected Contributor

My high school gym uniform. It's a royal blue one piece short romper (elastic on the leg openings) with self belt and my name stitched on the front pocket by my mom.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Catiele wrote:

My oldest is my mother’s diamond. It is a mined stone with a tiny hole at the bottom. The man my father bought it from a man he knew who said another lady wore it before it became her engagement ring. I wear it with my wedding band. For Christmas my husband had it put in a new setting. It just sparkles. Jeweler said it has a lot of light. I treasure it.

@Catiele. A mind cut diamond is a very old cut. The hole in the bottom, I’m guessing, was made to remove any imperfections. Today a laser is used to do the same thing. Enjoy your beautiful “new” ring.

Actually the old cut is called a MINE cut not a mind cut and there isn't a hole in the bottom - there is a tiny area where the jeweler had to hold the stone while he cut it by hand so that area did not get cut and when you look into the stone , even with your bare eye , you can see the tiny black spot.You actually can have those cut and made perfect if you want to but it's very pricey.A jeweler offered to do mine for $6000. I said no thanks.I think it's part of what is cool about an antique diamond.

A patient of mine , who was a diamond buyer for a big company in Pa. told me that old mine cut diamonds are much desired and valuable because they are much cleaner than what is in the market today.He looked at my diamond with av loop and said -of course - you can't tell 100% while it is in a setting but he couldn't see any imperfections except the spot at the bottom that is present in all mine cut diamonds. So it sounds like hubby's gramps bought his girl a really good stone, and , lucky for me, I inherited it. 

Honored Contributor

My skin

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

My high school gym uniform. It's a royal blue one piece short romper (elastic on the leg openings) with self belt and my name stitched on the front pocket by my mom.

@SaRina

Omg!  I had one of those! Oh, how I hated that thing.  I'm glad yours has sentimental value, but what were they thinking making us wear those?!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Catiele wrote:

Actually the old cut is called a MINE cut not a mind cut and there isn't a hole in the bottom - there is a tiny area where the jeweler had to hold the stone while he cut it by hand so that area did not get cut and when you look into the stone , even with your bare eye , you can see the tiny black spot.You actually can have those cut and made perfect if you want to but it's very pricey.A jeweler offered to do mine for $6000. I said no thanks.I think it's part of what is cool about an antique diamond.

A patient of mine , who was a diamond buyer for a big company in Pa. told me that old mine cut diamonds are much desired and valuable because they are much cleaner than what is in the market today.He looked at my diamond with av loop and said -of course - you can't tell 100% while it is in a setting but he couldn't see any imperfections except the spot at the bottom that is present in all mine cut diamonds. So it sounds like hubby's gramps bought his girl a really good stone, and , lucky for me, I inherited it. 

@151949  Thanks for the clarification. My engagement ring has a laser mark where an imperfection was removed. The stone is enhanced and appraisal reflects that. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I have an interest in antiques so I am always interested in old things. What people have & the stories behind them.

My oldest possession is an antique cherry table from the federalist period which would be around the late 1700's.

@151949. Thanks for a very interesting thread. 🙂

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Catiele wrote:

@151949  Thanks for the clarification. My engagement ring has a laser mark where an imperfection was removed. The stone is enhanced and appraisal reflects that. 

Your welcome. My Grandfather was a jewelry designer for a large firm in Pittsburgh, and he taught me a lot about jewelry.