Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is the oldest thing you own?

I have quite a few things that belonged to my ancestors. I know that a water pitcher that I have is 175 years old. These things, and all my ancient sepia photographs mean everything to me.

Honored Contributor

my FIL Coca Cola drivers uniform issued in the late 30s.  He was in the 1st group of route drivers for the CocaCola company.  I also have a pocket watch given to him at 10 years of service (1940s).  He passed at 103 years old! 

other than this my spouse!!!

Esteemed Contributor

My dads sterling silver Hanukkah Menorah.He brought it over from Europe.It’s over 100 years old!!

My moms engagement ring.Dad gave it to her over 65 years ago!!

Honored Contributor

@TenderMoon wrote:

I have a large cross stitch sampler that's dated 1895.  It was created by my maternal grandmother in Europe when she was 13.  It's quite beautiful and I have it framed.  It makes me sad because while I have two daughters to pass it down to, after that there's no one and it'll probably end up in a trash can.  I only have two grandsons and I can't imagine them taking any interest.

@TenderMoon   Something that special will end up somewhere many many years from now with someone who sees it as a treasure!  And they will appreciate it. Do not worry!

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@AuntG - I'm with you. When I see an old piece of furniture all scratched & peeling it just screams at me "take me home and make me beautiful again." All of my antiques have been lovingly restored so to look as close as possible to how the original artisan made them. People come into our home and Oohhh & Ahhh over the beautiful antiques.Often saying they have never seen such lovely pieces and I know that is because so many people who collect antiques never bother to put in the effort to restore them.Then the excuse is - oh that ruins them & takes away their value. BULL FEATHERS! Why would restoring something to it's original beauty take away it's value ? Why would people want scratched up , peeling, dirty furniture in their home?

I guess you can see this is a pet peeve of mine.

On Antiques Roadshow, a guy had a very old chest, and the value went from $250,000 down to $10,000 because they refinished it. It matters.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

My oldest is my mother’s diamond. It is a mined stone with a tiny hole at the bottom. The man my father bought it from a man he knew who said another lady wore it before it became her engagement ring. I wear it with my wedding band. For Christmas my husband had it put in a new setting. It just sparkles. Jeweler said it has a lot of light. I treasure it.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a very intricate cross stitch from 1870. It was given to me by an aunt. It's called a sampler. It looks like it would have taken someone months and months to complete. I think it's so cool. I framed it and it hangs in my guest room. About 10 years ago I took it to be appraised by the antique roadshow folks. It appraised for about 800-900 dollars. I was surprised that the amount was so low for something that old and so detailed. It's really an awesome piece to just study.

Honored Contributor

@Andrewsgrandma wrote:

I have a very intricate cross stitch from 1870. It was given to me by an aunt. It's called a sampler. It looks like it would have taken someone months and months to complete. I think it's so cool. I framed it and it hangs in my guest room. About 10 years ago I took it to be appraised by the antique roadshow folks. It appraised for about 800-900 dollars. I was surprised that the amount was so low for something that old and so detailed. It's really an awesome piece to just study.

@Andrewsgrandma.  Yes, I agree with the low amount. Unfortunately it depends on market value. But I would definitely value an old sampler for the joy it gave me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wear my grandmother's wedding ring that is inscribed "June 21, 1918".

She died 6 mos. before I was born.

My grandmother's sewing machine in its cabinet.  I think my mom bought it for her in 1949.

DH and I use  my mom and dad's bedroom set that they purchased in 1953.  It's still 100% solid in every way, but it needs to be refinished.

We also have a quilt that was made by my FIL's great aunt.  I just texted him to find out more information about it - I should know the details, but I don't. Thank you, OP, for prompting me to find out.

ETA: Well, it turns out DH was wrong.  The quilt was made by his great grandmother, sometime in the 1920s.  The explanation of it from my FIL last night, came along with this photo.

obrien.JPG

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I have an interest in antiques so I am always interested in old things. What people have & the stories behind them.

My oldest possession is an antique cherry table from the federalist period which would be around the late 1700's.

@151949  My great-aunt had no children and left me her triple strand of pearls with a huge diamond clasp that she wore to the side. 

I had them re-strung & now have a 36” strand (wear doubled a lot) and an 18” length. 

The huge clasp? Took it off, put a pin backing on it and wear it on my jean jacket....yes, on my jean jacket.

Not sure how old the pearls are since they may have been passed down to her from another generation.