Respected Contributor

Re: What is the oldest thing you own?

My body!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I have a cookbook from my great grandmother. All handwritten recipes in her handwriting. One date on it is 1857. Awesome piece of history.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I own this old body.  It's an antique. One of a kind.  It should be on a shelf, it hasn't been put to good use lately.  It's showing years of wear and tear.  Still has the original paint on it.  I try to keep it looking as nice as I can.  It has a few chips out of it, the surface isn't as smooth as it was when I first got it.  But it's the oldest thing I own.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

I have a stepback cupboard that belonged to my Great  Grandparents and an Eastlake  table that was my Grandmother's

Cherry, I don't know what either of those are, but I'd love to see a picture of them. @cherry I looked up the cupboard, I didn't know it was called that. Now I'll see if I can find the Eastlake table.  

Respected Contributor

Probably a hand carved wood table that was handed down from DH's grandmother. It is supposedly from the far east and part of a collection of items by a man named James Ricalton who traveled around the world in the early 1900's. It sits in our sitting room. You can make it out here, in the corner.

sittingroom.JPG

Honored Contributor

I don't know how to show home fotos @qualitygal.  A stepback cupboard has glass doors at the top and  regular wooden doors at the bottom. It has a ledge or a *step* dividing the top and bottom. It is oak and it weighs a ton. I refinished it with bleach ,to bring it back to the original wood

An Easlake table is  pre civil war, I think. It is made from rosewood ,and has some scribed lines in the scalloped trim ,around the table edge. It was made with hand wrought nails, and is on china casters

You can google it to see what it looks like, I'm sure

Honored Contributor

@cherry, I was able to find that too.  They call it a parlor table.  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal  that is correct. My table stood in my Grandmother's parlor. SHe lived in an old farm house ,that had a parlor, and  a setting room too

At Christmas time ,for all the years of my life, there set a bowl of English walnuts, in the shell, and a mallet to crack them, on this table. This table didn't have a marble top

Esteemed Contributor

I recently found my old Skipper doll.. What wonderful memories I have of that doll. It is now in a place of honor in my daughters bedroom.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Nothing very old at all compared to many here!  I think the oldest thing I have is my  grandmother's ration book from WW2.  She put it inside my Mom's baby book.