Trusted Contributor

Re: What is the oldest thing you own?

ME!     I’m old

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@amtgal wrote:

Of value? A hand bound book from 1870, called "The Doctor"

Most sentimental? My Christmas stocking, 62 years old !

Fun to read these replies !

I'm 71 and hang my xmas stocking every year.  My Mother's brother who was single had a woman make one for me and my sister when I was about 4years old.   I love that stocking.

I  have one liitle baby shoe that was my Father's.   So, it is 109 years old.

Valued Contributor

I have a rocking chair that I was rocked in as a baby. I am 66.  The thing was made pretty well, wouldn't you say?  It HAS been recovered a few times, and sadly, it has an arm that is just hanging, but I just cannot bear to part with it.  It has a place in my family room for "holding things'.  No one would dare sit in it because the seat is so low and "bumpy"..  I also have three padded stools (similar to a piano bench).  I remember one of them sat at my mother's dressing table.  Just a few weeks ago, the leg on one crumbled.  I have a friend who is going to glue it back on.  I mean, it is solid wood, so how could I part with it if he can fix it? Things were made to last in the past.

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up in New York and bought a pair of galoshes around 1962 (those low rubber boots that go over shoes). In 1966 I moved to southern California and wore them a few times. The last time I wore them was in 1993. I kept them in my bedroom closet - and a few months ago, I moved them to a cabinet in my garage. Can't get rid of them - u never know when I might need them again. It NEVER rains in California!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Catiele wrote:

My oldest is my mother’s diamond. It is a mined stone with a tiny hole at the bottom. The man my father bought it from a man he knew who said another lady wore it before it became her engagement ring. I wear it with my wedding band. For Christmas my husband had it put in a new setting. It just sparkles. Jeweler said it has a lot of light. I treasure it.

@Catiele Your diamond sounds like a beautiful stone!  I read once that old mine cut diamonds often display more “fire” (the spectrum of colors like we see in a prism.) And also that instead of having a point at the bottom like we usually see in modern brilliant cuts, old mine cut diamonds have a larger culet, so when you look into the diamond from the top, it looks like a hole is at the bottom.  

Anyway, I agree, your diamond is a treasure! 😊

Respected Contributor

We have a very old cherry hutch that was all handmade.  We bought it so don’t know the history.

Recently gave my brother our grandfather’s dog tags from WWI and his passport from around 1920.

Dearest to my heart are my mom’s diamond engagement ring and wedding band. Lovely center stone with two stones on either side of her engagement ring and band has 5 small diamonds. Both are set in platinum. My dad was so proud of himself for choosing this set for Mom and she cherished it. I’ll be passing it down to my niece someday. Mom has dementia now so dad gave it to me for safekeeping.  They’ve been married 67 years. 

Respected Contributor

I have a compact mirror with a picture of my grandfather on one side of it when he was about 20.

It was my grandmother's and she gave it to me a long time ago.

So it's probably about 80 years old.

We don't have a lot of "heirlooms" in my family.  My grandparents were immigrants who didn't have much when they started out and weren't ones for buying a lot of "stuff" as they got more financially secure.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2  Both my DH & I were fortunate in the heirloom department. He is the only child and his Mom was an only child. Her family was here before the revolutionary war and he inherited many beautiful , well cared for & loved things. On my side my grandmother's family came from Germany , also pre revolutionary War and I was the only heir who still lived in Pittsburgh so none of the others - my brothers and cousins wanted anything enough to pay to ship it so I pretty much got my pick from both grandparents & parents. My grandfather was a jeweler and I was left a ton of beautiful jewelry. I opted to share it with my SILs  - we put it out on a table and we all sat there and in turn went around the table picking pieces until it was all gone.We each left with two hands full of gorgeous real jewelry, that had been designed & probably made by my grandfather.

Respected Contributor

A ladder back chair. A round tavern table.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

400 year old English Pub Table.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield