Trusted Contributor

Re: What is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to you?

My mother rarely gave compliments to anyone and if she did, it was to someone outside the family.  I was a successful, well-respected teacher in our town for many years, but it wasn't until a few years before my retirement that she met someone who said to her, "________ is your daughter?  She's a wonderful teacher."  I think my mother was taken aback because she never thought of me as being good at anything.  Anyway, one day out of the blue she said to me, "You're so smart and talented, you would be good at anything you tried."   It seemed too little too late, but I decided to accept her for who she was and decided I'd accept her compliment.  

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

When I taught 8th grade, I had a very troubled boy in my class. He'd come from a tough, inner city neighborhood and was then living with his aunt, as his dad was not reliable.  He was one of those kids who showed his pain by acting out in some very ugly ways.  I have to admit that when we first met he was rather hard to like.

He moved back with his dad at the end of the school year. Before he went, he told me that he was going to stay out of trouble and away from drugs.. that was a promise he'd made to himself.

One day almost 10 years later, I got a call from the front office saying that I had a visitor.  It was James. He was 23 years old and just graduated from UCLA. He said he'd come to see me and to tell me that in person, because I was the only teacher who'd ever shown him respect. 💙 

Teachers rarely know the impact they have on the students they teach, so what a gift it is to hear from one who tells you how much of an effect you had on his or her life.  Congrats on being the wonderful teacher you were and are.  

Esteemed Contributor

On occasion a daughter, neice, former student or friends of my kids will tell me they learned things from me that helped them in their adult lives. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

When I was a young lady my Aunt Mary told me I was the prettiest girl she had ever seen.  And she had 4 daughters!   Heart

Esteemed Contributor

My Father told me i was the best "Mom" to my children....

Honored Contributor

“You’re a great mom!”  Then they said, “ Will you adopt me?”

Honored Contributor

Well, this isn't the nicest, but most recent. 

I bought 5 outfits for my granddaughter to start off the first week of school.  She's very particular about what she'll wear, very picky about fabrics, colors, styles and fit.  

She said 'Nana, you get me!'

(My poor DIL threw her arms up in the air.)

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm -

Now that really is a good compliment, especially coming from

a 5 year old who is very particular about her "fashions"!Woman LOL

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

While in the  beauty parlor, getting a hair trim I got to talking to the woman next to me. When she was leaving, she said I would be a good friend to her, if we lived closer.

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

Some heartfelt and heartwarming comments through the years made by some of my special education students.  One little boy who had learning and behavior problems told me I was his best friend.   Another student said she loved being in the class and wanted to grow up to be a teacher just like me.  

I retired in Jan. of this year after 27 plus years, but each and every student will always have a tiny piece of my heart.

@ciao_bella 

Bless you for the wonderful care and love you gave to all your students!  I'm sure you made a big difference in many young lives!  You must have an important place in their hearts, as well!