Honored Contributor

Re: What is the longest period of time that your internet has been down?

Usually only about an hour. But one time my house was hit by lightening and it fried all of my electronics so I had to wait and get another router which took over a week to get here in the mail. But that really was the least of my worries. I had no TV, computers, phone ...no electronic devices at all. They were all wiped out by the lightening strike. That event ranks in the top 5 worse things that ever happened to me in my life and I hope it never happens again.

Respected Contributor

Two weeks!

It was awful at first, but it's only my DH and moi and we managed ok. Read our email and went on internet on our phones (have wi-fi in my car so could check stuff there) and by the time the damage to a large box a few blocks away (squirrels ate wiring) was fixed we were doing fine. More time for other things, reading, doing put-off chores, organizing stuff, cleaning. It was sort of "a good thing."  We did have cable tv, so no worries there.

I missed the forums but found out I could live without them.

Honored Contributor

I can't remember, but the only thing I can recall is a couple of times when the electricity was out so, consequently, no internet.  That is quite infrequent and almost never lasts more than a couple of hours.

Honored Contributor

With Frontier, our internet was always out.  Our AT&T wireless connection is great.   

When I'm on my IPad, like now, I use the mobile hot spot connection on my phone for internet access.   

Honored Contributor

Last time my Internet was down for days, so were my furnace and electric stove.  Too cold to miss the Internet!

Honored Contributor

Ten days after Super Storm Sandy and I didn't have a smartphone at the time.

Respected Contributor

The longest our power was out was with Hurricane Isabel - seven long, hot days!  At the time we didn't have a generator.  Thankfully, we now have a full house generator.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe a week after a Hurricane 

Honored Contributor

The worst was many years ago when I had dial up  service with AOL.  I had two screen names, but never used one of them much.

One night I attempted to sign in and got a message that I was already signed on.  I had to wait until the morning to call AOL.  They told me I was still signed on under my second screen name.  

I said it was not me.  They asked for my password for the screen name in use, and I didn't remember it because I hadn't used it for months.  They would not disconnect the line on the second screen name. 

They should have because I had the password for my master screen name.

To make a long story short, someone was using my account for three continuous days at $3.95 an hour and I couldn't do a thing about it.  They also used it at night before and I was unaware.  As soon as I could sign on under my main screen name. I deleted the other one.

My account was paid by auto pay and AOL charged me almost $500 for that month.  I called and begged and cried and complained, but they did nothing about it and would not refund me.

I know it was one of their employees...and inside job.  There was no reason they why they couldn't disconnect the service when I asked.  

So, I would say, three days.

of course we go camping for weeks where there is no internet service, but we expect that. 

Contributor

Hurricane Irene in 2011....no power for 8 days...luckily it was in August.  Beside having 18 inches of water in the basement (due sump pumps being out), trees down and no power anywhere, the last thing we thought about was wifi.  Follow that up with super storm Sandy in 2012....14 days without power starting at the end of October.  Temperature in the house was hovering around 50 degrees, but luckily we had a fireplace, lots of wood, and a gas stove.  Cold showers are not fun in November.  Again, no one cared about the internet!   Moved to Florida in 2014... Smiley Wink