Trusted Contributor

What is the current situation in Florida?

My neighbor just returned from 2 weeks in a condo near Fort Myers.  He said that the beaches and restaurants are packed with people.  The grocery stores have only the TP shortage, but otherwise shelves are full.  He couldn't believe the situation here up North.

Today we cancelled our April Florida vacation, and lost money of course on the deal.  The condo manager was NOT very pleasant about the cancellation.  She said that NOTHING is closed or affected in the area.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is the current situation in Florida?

@mac116 wrote:

My neighbor just returned from 2 weeks in a condo near Fort Myers.  He said that the beaches and restaurants are packed with people.  The grocery stores have only the TP shortage, but otherwise shelves are full.  He couldn't believe the situation here up North.

Today we cancelled our April Florida vacation, and lost money of course on the deal.  The condo manager was NOT very pleasant about the cancellation.  She said that NOTHING is closed or affected in the area.

I don't believe the manager. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
QVC Customer Care
Respected Contributor

I'm in Tampa.  Can't find toilet paper, hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes, and Lysol spray.  Most other paper products such as tissues are a "limit 2."  From what I've seen, food is plentiful, though maybe some stores are running low on meat.   Restaurants are open, though many people not going out.  Glad theme parks and events are canceled.  As for me, I'm just staying home doing things around the house that I've been putting off.  And cleaning.  Lots of cleaning!  Stay safe out there, everyone.  Let's hope this passes quickly.  Now go wash your hands.

Esteemed Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

I think you made a good decision to cancel. In April, I seriously think things will be worse and not better. In the US, in general, not to be a Debbie Downer, but we haven't seen anything yet. 

Honored Contributor

Alabama, Florida, Mississippi set up COVID-19 hotlines.

Alabama:1-888-264-2256
Florida: 1-866-779-6121
Mississippi: 1-877-978-6453

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read that those who live in The Villages in Florida are not changing their lifestyle one bit.  Living life to the fullest.  The article was amusing but concerning.

Again, I hope their carpe diem approach during this time of COVID-19 does not have dreadful repercussions.

(I swear, I'm so distracted that I'm using incorrect words.)

Occasional Contributor

I am in Port St Licie Floida and people are staying pretty calm and I would say staying cautious. Publix is like most grocery stores out of most cleaning products and TP but keep refilling daily. They have cut there hours from 8 at night to 7 in the morning to restock as much as possible, but people buy it as soon as most are put out. Meat seems to be another thing that is going fast also.

Hopefully things will calm down after a period of time if people follow what they tell us to stay as safe as possible.

What I will say to everyone is the swine flu of 2009 had 12,469 people die in the United States and I didn't see all this panic, so I hope and pray this isn't the media making this bigger than it has to be.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mac116 wrote:

In S. Florida, our grocery stores are running out and then getting in trucks to restock. Out of milk in local Publix. The stores near me are awaiting dairy delivery trucks. Cereals are sold out. Toilet paper and tissue are sold out. Bread is limited and the stores are awaiting delivery trucks. Restaurants are fairly empty. Socializing has been dramatically reduced. Some are working from home. I have not been to the beach, Airport was a nightmare as people returning home were awaiting testing. People were packed together. I just received a robocall from my city mayor saying the election booths are being cleaned and the polls will have sanitizer. 

Florida has a high case count. 

Florida Department of Health 

Updates

The dashboard for tracking cases.

A screenshot of the state's news COVID-19 online "dashboard."

C1DE9AC5-8EDD-4042-A65E-8669053AFB70.png

Broward County, number of cases is 38.

Honored Contributor

This all sounds like the beginning of Jaws.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr