Contributor

What is the Most Treasured or Memorable Gift You Ever Received?

Christmas in July has got me thinking about all of the money we spend on gifts each year.

So many presents we give and receive soon become "forgettable" while a select few standout and become true treasures that we would never want to part with. 

Maybe you could share which gift meant the most to you and why you value it so much.

Maybe you were the recipient, or maybe you were the receiver.

Here's one that I'd like to share:

A dear friend of mine had a very turbulent relationship with her judgemental and harsh mother. Even as a grown woman with her own husband and children, my friend was constantly seeking her mother's approval and love, but her attempts were always met with disdain and coldness.

One day, I gave my friend a sterling silver bracelet with a 'key" charm on it along with a tiny card on which I wrote one of my favorite sayings:

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket."

My friend sobbed relentlessly when she opened the present and read the card.

She has since moved to another state, but she tells me that gift of the "key" and the quote gave her strength and perspective and helped her make a mental shift that she had never been able to do before. She rose above her daily struggles with her mom and realized how much time and emotion she had been wasting trying to please someone who could never be pleased.

I think giving her that gift gave me more joy than it gave her to receive it.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is the Most Treasured or Memorable Gift You Ever Received?

God gave me a cat born on my birthday.

Honored Contributor

My father made these, if the house was on fire I would grab both pieces. 340659_327706613907094_599363213_o.jpg322332_278842502126839_601761371_o.jpg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A subscription to StoryWorth from my daughter, on Mother's Day 2020. I wrote weekly stories for 52 weeks in response to the questions. They, along with my photos and other illustrations, were printed and bound into a hard cover book. My daughter loved reading my little essays, mostly humorous recollections. She learned some things that she didn't know. For example, how she came to have her name and how her dad (my ex) kept coming up with what I thought were stripper names. 🤭

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

What a heartfelt, moving story. Your gift was so touching and deeply moved your friend, giving her strength and courage. You are an amazing friend. Bless you. 

I've been fortunate to give and receive many meaningful gifts but what means the most were unintended gifts, my mother's letters. We lived in different states and missed each other terribly. Her words immortalize her wit, her wisdom, her caring empathy and her love. She is long gone but her words will reverberate in my heart always.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve always loved dogs and we always had them growing up.  But they were always family pets.

A few months before we got married, Jeff gave me a Cocker Spaniel puppy for Valentines. Best gift ever and she was all mine.

Respected Contributor

The StoryWorth subscription was the most treasured. The same daughter gave me a bidet attachment for my toilet. Def the most memorable. 🤗

but I must also mention the pink day lilies given to me by my son for Mother's Day in 2012. I replanted them in my yard. When we retired and moved to Florida I dug them up, giving a bulb to my sweet neighbor and taking the rest with me for replanting. Patrick was so pleased to give that to me. He was killed in 2013. So whenever I spy a sign of life from the lily plant  I get excited. 

Harmonize the World
Valued Contributor

I lost my original engagement ring and one Christmas I opened a little box and in there was a replacement; I was so shocked and surprised and happy!

Honored Contributor

I have several:  my first pocketbook from my Mamaw, a gold bracelet from my Papaw, first doll from my uncle, personalized bible from my aunt, birthstone ring from my parents, and wooden jewelry chest which was the first birthday gift from my husband.  I still have all the above.    

Honored Contributor

A college degree.