Respected Contributor

Re: What is the Most Risky Thing You Have Ever Done?

@Yardlie wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

I woke at 3 in the morning to see a strange man in my bedroom going through my jewelry box. I jumped up and went after him with a young mother's fury. I have never felt such a surge of adrenaline. As I was chasing him down the dark basement stairs, better sense took over and I retreated upstairs and called the police. I was very lucky he did not harm my children or me. I shook for a week.

OMG! What an ordeal! I'm not sure how I would have handled the situation. I'm sure your heart was pounding like crazy. That is one of those experiences that would traumatize me for life.

@Yardlie I had to move. I put a noisy kid tambourine on the basement door handle so I would hear if anyone was messing with the door, but the door was so old and warped that the wind blew in and set the tambourine off. Lol

My nerves couldn't take living there.

Super Contributor

interesting thread!  Made me think...two things come to mind -

1) accepting a ride with a stranger when my car broke down in the middle of nowhere

2) confronting a man who was following me when I was jogging early one morning - he stated his intentions which were NOT honorable and I told him to "Get the H*** away from me" and ran faster all the way home....surprised myself as I was no frightened, only infuriated!!

Respected Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

I am a cancer survivor having been diagnosed with two types of cancer six months apart in the same year.  I risked taking radiation therapy treatments twice in the same year, almost 70 treatments in all.  But, I was the winner after all and have been in remission for 19 years.  Thank you, God. 

Wow...what a story, and what a strong person you must be! I have seen what radiation therapy can do to people. I'm so happy to hear that you beat the cancer. 19 years is wonderful!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Becoming a nurse and even more risky - becoming a critical care nurse.

I would edit to add - after my first hubby died I took a job in Saudi Arabia for 2 years. Even though Peter and I had travelled extensively - this was me alone without him, & I was pretty scared.

Respected Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

@Yardlie wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

I woke at 3 in the morning to see a strange man in my bedroom going through my jewelry box. I jumped up and went after him with a young mother's fury. I have never felt such a surge of adrenaline. As I was chasing him down the dark basement stairs, better sense took over and I retreated upstairs and called the police. I was very lucky he did not harm my children or me. I shook for a week.

OMG! What an ordeal! I'm not sure how I would have handled the situation. I'm sure your heart was pounding like crazy. That is one of those experiences that would traumatize me for life.

@Yardlie I had to move. I put a noisy kid tambourine on the basement door handle so I would hear if anyone was messing with the door, but the door was so old and warped that the wind blew in and set the tambourine off. Lol

My nerves couldn't take living there.

I don't blame you for moving! I would have also.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

When I look back at my "risky" thing, I almost have to sit down and breathe!  Can't believe I did this....while in college, one of my best friends was dating a guy who had his aviator's license!!  So one week end, we - my friend, her pilot, my guy and me - decided to rent a plane and fly to a very well known restaurant that had special field for little planes to land!!  It was in California!!

I can't even remember the name of the restaurant or much about the plane trip....except the plane was one of those little, tiny ones!!!  What I do remember is that once we got to the restaurant, I was so nervous that I could not eat!!! And the prices at this place were not inexpensive!!

Wow!  I never told my father about this little event...he would have murdered me!! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Sunnyfield wrote:

interesting thread!  Made me think...two things come to mind -

1) accepting a ride with a stranger when my car broke down in the middle of nowhere

2) confronting a man who was following me when I was jogging early one morning - he stated his intentions which were NOT honorable and I told him to "Get the H*** away from me" and ran faster all the way home....surprised myself as I was no frightened, only infuriated!!

#1 is one of those times when we have to trust strangers and pray that they are trustworthy. I was in a similar situation once.

#2 is appalling! The adrenaline must have given you wings to fly home on that day!

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Becoming a nurse and even more risky - becoming a critical care nurse.

I would edit to add - after my first hubby died I took a job in Saudi Arabia for 2 years. Even though Peter and I had travelled extensively - this was me alone without him, & I was pretty scared.

Wow...I used to know someone who worked in Saudi Arabia as a teacher for awhile. She told me stories about what it was like to live there. That must have been fascinating, but I don't blame you for being scared. You were certainly courageous to work there!

Respected Contributor

@corita wrote:

When I look back at my "risky" thing, I almost have to sit down and breathe!  Can't believe I did this....while in college, one of my best friends was dating a guy who had his aviator's license!!  So one week end, we - my friend, her pilot, my guy and me - decided to rent a plane and fly to a very well known restaurant that had special field for little planes to land!!  It was in California!!

I can't even remember the name of the restaurant or much about the plane trip....except the plane was one of those little, tiny ones!!!  What I do remember is that once we got to the restaurant, I was so nervous that I could not eat!!! And the prices at this place were not inexpensive!!

Wow!  I never told my father about this little event...he would have murdered me!! Smiley Happy

Oh, boy...that would make me nervous too! I hate those little puddle jumper planes that they use to connect to the big jets in larger cities. Can't imagine what flying in one of those tiny private ones must be like. Smiley Frustrated That took more nerve than I have!

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

Ha Ha - when I was a kid my Dad worked for the USAF and we would ride in anything that could get off the ground. Rattling old troup carriers - helicopters - you name it - smoke coming out of engines  - all of it. Not to even mention most of the pilots had private planes like the one you described, and we rode in those too. No wonder as an adult I am fearless. Then my first husband rode motorbikes in trial competitions so I'd be out in the woods riding over trees and through creeks. I never thought twice about it. Our kids were out there with us too.