Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is the Most Risky Thing You Have Ever Done?

Living the first 50 years of my life without knowing the Lord.  I guess he had a bigger plan for me.  Smiley Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

Hitchhiking with a friend, back in the early 70s.  Just call us dumb and dumber.  Nothing bad ever happened to us, we were very lucky.

Ooooh...scary. Glad nothing bad happened.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Living the first 50 years of my life without knowing the Lord.  I guess he had a bigger plan for me.  Smiley Happy

Me too. I was in my mid-40's when I was born again.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

Probably my marriage before my 18th BIRTHDAY was the most risky thing I ever did. I graduated from high school at 16 and started college that same year. My now-husband was going to be drafted into the Viet Nam War, but if we married he'd be spared. The year after we married, only married men with children were exempt from the draft, so my first child was born in 1966. I told my husband I didn't have "secks" appeal but rather draft appeal. Fast forward to 2017. We've been married 52 years. Our children are 51 and soon-to-be 49. We have a 22 year old grandson and granddaughters who are 19 and 13. It's been great to be a young grandmother. I went back to school, got my graduate degree, and had a great career. I don't regret my risky decision at all.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

I'm living it.

Getting old is not for sissies.  Good for you for making the best of every day, and ignoring the drama.  Drama is such a waste of time anyway.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not a daredevil type so this may not even apply. To date:

1) Going back to school after having to quit due to financial reasons

2) Moving to a different town in NYC years ago that I wasn't even familiar with to rent a much more affordable apartment. 

3) Change majors to one where I would be amongst the best even though it was a less well known field

4) Ask my then boyfriend of about 2 years to move in if he needed to when his family asked him to leave.

I had my own place, we were both students and over achievers. His family was mad he was staying up and studying all night, which increased the light bill. He was an international student on a scholarship at the time and he only received $300/month. I told him he if he wanted, he could come live with me and he wouldn't have to worry about paying any bills since I also worked full-time and was making good money.

We're married now. I had no need to upend my life at the time but I wanted him to feel secure, to succeed and to regain a sense of dignity by having truly his own space and independence.

5) Relocate for about a year abroad with my husband when his job sent him on a special assignment. It was completely unknown to me and it was an unforgettable experience.

6) To be determined.....

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

Me too. I was in my mid-40's when I was born again.

@Yardlie  I wanted to use "born again", but was afraid of poofing. 

Good thread, sister! Smiley Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Probably my marriage before my 18th BIRTHDAY was the most risky thing I ever did. I graduated from high school at 16 and started college that same year. My now-husband was going to be drafted into the Viet Nam War, but if we married he'd be spared. The year after we married, only married men with children were exempt from the draft, so my first child was born in 1966. I told my husband I didn't have "secks" appeal but rather draft appeal. Fast forward to 2017. We've been married 52 years. Our children are 51 and soon-to-be 49. We have a 22 year old grandson and granddaughters who are 19 and 13. It's been great to be a young grandmother. I went back to school, got my graduate degree, and had a great career. I don't regret my risky decision at all.

Wow, Vivian...What a story! Congratulations on 52 years of marriage and all that you have accomplished! 

Respected Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

I'm not a daredevil type so this may not even apply. To date:

1) Going back to school after having to quit due to financial reasons

2) Moving to a different town in NYC years ago that I wasn't even familiar with to rent a much more affordable apartment. 

3) Change majors to one where I would be amongst the best even though it was a less well known field

4) Ask my then boyfriend of about 2 years to move in if he needed to when his family asked him to leave.

I had my own place, we were both students and over achievers. His family was mad he was staying up and studying all night, which increased the light bill. He was an international student on a scholarship at the time and he only received $300/month. I told him he if he wanted, he could come live with me and he wouldn't have to worry about paying any bills since I also worked full-time and was making good money.

We're married now. I had no need to upend my life at the time but I wanted him to feel secure, to succeed and to regain a sense of dignity by having truly his own space and independence.

5) Relocate for about a year abroad with my husband when his job sent him on a special assignment. It was completely unknown to me and it was an unforgettable experience.

6) To be determined.....

Don't need to be a daredevil to take risks. Sounds like you have taken a lot of well-thought-out risks in your life and have been successful. Good for you!

Honored Contributor

I am a cancer survivor having been diagnosed with two types of cancer six months apart in the same year.  I risked taking radiation therapy treatments twice in the same year, almost 70 treatments in all.  But, I was the winner after all and have been in remission for 19 years.  Thank you, God. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~