Valued Contributor

Re: What is the Most Risky Thing You Have Ever Done?

I was 14, a freshman in high school. My parents had gone out for the evening and I took my mother's car to a town 20 miles away.  On my way, I picked up 4 or 5 of my school buddies, all of us 14 or 15 years old.  Not one parent asked why I was driving a car.

I prayed all the way home that I would beat my parents to the driveway. When I turned the corner to my house and saw their car was still gone, I breathed a sigh of relief.

What a stupid thing to do, thinking back on it now. My parents never found out about this little escapade of mine.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I too am sure my guardian angels saved my rear more than a few times, without a doubt !!

some years back I was jogging in the mountains of Colorado when a guy in a jeep came by and yelled" there's a mountain lion with her cubs we just saw, I wouldn't be up here if I were you" he took off and I ran the three miles back home the fastest I've ever run ! 

Move to a third world country on the other side of the world from family and friends, during a time of political instability making it dangerous, and having to be evacuated out of the country when it got too risky.

also.....

Climbing up three story scaffold that DH built , to build a brick chimney by myself (I'm terrified of heights 😳)

Honored Contributor

I'm not a risk taker, it's a flaw. I would say fly across country by myself less than two months after 9/11. To hang around with several people I had never met in person.

The people didn't work out all that well, was still glad I did it. Conquering that fear after 9/11 was the biggest thing.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Valued Contributor

even if I tried to explain it, no one would believe it..let's just say I am very, VERY lucky to be alive today..happened when I was 19!

i know I had a guardian angel with me 😇

Honored Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

Hitchhiking with a friend, back in the early 70s.  Just call us dumb and dumber.  Nothing bad ever happened to us, we were very lucky.

@Caligurll, that's one of mine as well. A few of us kids hitched a ride home from the beach. I practically held my breath the whole way, thinking that he was going to attack us any minute.

I would never recommend that kids do stupid things like that. But I have to admit that I miss those extra-strength feelings and passion of youth, like when my friends and I successfully managed to trick our parents and get to the Hollywood Bowl in the middle of the night to queue up for the Beatles' 1964 concert. That and the concert itself still evokes that wonderful feeling.

Now I worry about the mundane much too much.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@Sunnyfield wrote:

interesting thread!  Made me think...two things come to mind -

1) accepting a ride with a stranger when my car broke down in the middle of nowhere

2) confronting a man who was following me when I was jogging early one morning - he stated his intentions which were NOT honorable and I told him to "Get the H*** away from me" and ran faster all the way home....surprised myself as I was no frightened, only infuriated!!

Mine is very similar with your first one..I have never told anyone, not even my husband! I think of it about once a year & cannot believe I was lucky to survive it.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Caligurll wrote:

Hitchhiking with a friend, back in the early 70s.  Just call us dumb and dumber.  Nothing bad ever happened to us, we were very lucky.

@Caligurll, that's one of mine as well. A few of us kids hitched a ride home from the beach. I practically held my breath the whole way, thinking that he was going to attack us any minute.

I would never recommend that kids do stupid things like that. But I have to admit that I miss those extra-strength feelings and passion of youth, like when my friends and I successfully managed to trick our parents and get to the Hollywood Bowl in the middle of the night to queue up for the Beatles' 1964 concert. That and the concert itself still evokes that wonderful feeling.

Now I worry about the mundane much too much.

@suzyQ3 I know I kept my guardian angel working overtime between the ages of 16 - 25-ish.  I was fearless and apparently thought nothing bad could happen to me.

Now I am an avid watcher of Investigation Discovery and frequently think to myself, there but for the grace of God go I.  I really consider myself lucky that nothing bad happened.

On a more positive note, the riskiest thing I have done lately is to go zip lining.  It was so much fun!  I wasn't sure I would be able to let go when they got me all hooked up, but I did and I loved it.

Honored Contributor

Riskiest thing I've ever done?

Started a thread here. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

My little 8 or 9 year-old friends and I used to have roller skating races around the block (in clip-on skates!). One of us would go and the others would count how long it took until we got back to the starting place. The risky part was that an alley - about the width of 2 cars - had to be crossed twice. Since the bordering houses had hedges, a car coming out would not see us. I don't know how none of us ever got hit.

I took a helicoptor ride over the Grand Canyon as one more passenger was needed. I ended up in the bubble seat next to the pilot. It was a very windy day.

I could see the pilot fighting the control stick to keep the 'coptor level.

Longest 20 minutes of my life; I could barely keep my eyes open to look at the canyon and take photos. Later that day I heard on the news that 'copter rides were grounded due to the wind; ours was one of the last to fly.

As much as I love to fly, I will never go on another helicoptor ride.

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Becoming a nurse and even more risky - becoming a critical care nurse.

I would edit to add - after my first hubby died I took a job in Saudi Arabia for 2 years. Even though Peter and I had travelled extensively - this was me alone without him, & I was pretty scared.

Nursing school was a piece of cake! 1 year after I graduated we moved to a different state & I (crazily) took a labor & delivery job, 3-11 shift, worked alone with 1 aide, & we averaged 200 deliveries a month, luckily my aide had 20 yrs experience & taught me well! 

Never dreamed I would have worked OB, transferred after 7 years.