Respected Contributor

Re: What is the Most Risky Thing You Have Ever Done?

@sandraskates wrote:

My little 8 or 9 year-old friends and I used to have roller skating races around the block (in clip-on skates!). One of us would go and the others would count how long it took until we got back to the starting place. The risky part was that an alley - about the width of 2 cars - had to be crossed twice. Since the bordering houses had hedges, a car coming out would not see us. I don't know how none of us ever got hit.

I took a helicoptor ride over the Grand Canyon as one more passenger was needed. I ended up in the bubble seat next to the pilot. It was a very windy day.

I could see the pilot fighting the control stick to keep the 'coptor level.

Longest 20 minutes of my life; I could barely keep my eyes open to look at the canyon and take photos. Later that day I heard on the news that 'copter rides were grounded due to the wind; ours was one of the last to fly.

As much as I love to fly, I will never go on another helicoptor ride.

A helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon sounds very risky. I wouldn't have liked your ride much. I was once in a small plane flying across Taiwan while a typhoon was moving in. The pilot could barely control the plane. I said my "Hail Mary's" the entire trip!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Becoming a nurse and even more risky - becoming a critical care nurse.

I would edit to add - after my first hubby died I took a job in Saudi Arabia for 2 years. Even though Peter and I had travelled extensively - this was me alone without him, & I was pretty scared.

Nursing school was a piece of cake! 1 year after I graduated we moved to a different state & I (crazily) took a labor & delivery job, 3-11 shift, worked alone with 1 aide, & we averaged 200 deliveries a month, luckily my aide had 20 yrs experience & taught me well! 

Never dreamed I would have worked OB, transferred after 7 years.

Sounds like a very busy hospital! Isn't it amazing how much we can learn from the people we are supposed to supervise?

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

The first thing that came to my mind was when my girlfriend and I hitch hiked.... Yeeee gads.. just the thought now gives me the hebejeebees.

I guess that's why we worry about our children so much!

Esteemed Contributor

Went to Woodstock in 1969 in upstate NY..........left halfway through as it was getting a bit too wild for my sister and i who had traveled there with a couple of friends...they didn't want to leave......so my sister and i hitched from upstate

to Penn Station ...then took a train to home....we were so lucky to get a nice gentlemen who drove us almost the whole way down..and who never stopped talking...haah...we were very grateful...and very lucky he was kind to us....

Regular Contributor

My husband has always been the biggest risk taker so I went along on two adventures the first was hot air ballon in St. Helena,ca the scenery and ballon was beautiful, and river rafting in Oregon it was the first and last time for both made a promise to myself if I come out alive never again lol  He's been trying to talk me into going out on that glass walk way over looking the Grand Canyon a big no thank you. 

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
Robert Frost

Respected Contributor

Don't lecture me. As teens we out ran the police in an old Roadrunner with a barrel of beer in the backseat. 

We also used to jump off the 2nd story porch roof into the inground pool that had a cement walkway all around it. I cringe thinking about that. 

Thank goodness I have mellowed. Smiley Tongue

Respected Contributor

I moved across the country at age 19. I had no job and no car. I did know a couple of people in my new state so that helped. Here I am. Over 40 years later so I guess it worked out  Woman LOL

I took a lot of silly risks in my 20s. It's pure blind luck I survived!

Honored Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

Don't lecture me. As teens we out ran the police in an old Roadrunner with a barrel of beer in the backseat. 

We also used to jump off the 2nd story porch roof into the inground pool that had a cement walkway all around it. I cringe thinking about that. 

Thank goodness I have mellowed. Smiley Tongue

Lecture you?  We would have been pals in our youth. LOL

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

Something I can't share but let's say I am lucky to have gotten out of it alive or even that I got away. This was in high school when I was a senior. I actually have done many a risky thing when I was from about 14 to about 27. I was a bit of a wild child. I don't regret any of it except that one big thing because I think it was super dangerous and it got me and two of my friends very much in over our heads. I didn't get us in that situation but I should have stopped us from even gotten that far into the situation. 

Valued Contributor

Mine's pretty tame.  I, too, rode on the back of a motorcycle with a boyfriend when I was in college. I really enjoyed it, but when my mother found out, she chewed me out good.  She was the ultimate anti-risk taker but I was runner-up.Woman Wink

I also went sailing in a big lake in college in a tiny little boat with another boyfriend. I can still see that mast almost knocking me over if I didn't duck far enough. It wasn't risky really, but a lot of fun. I haven't done either that or motorcyling since then. Woman Sad