Respected Contributor

Re: What is the Hardest Lesson You Have Had to Learn in Life?

@Yardlie

No, I am not a very busy person:  that is a list of all the career opportunities I have had over 50 years !!!!

Thanks for the chuckle today !

Seriously, I wish more women would listen to their gut instincts because it could save them a lot of pain and frustration.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

Not everyone is as sincere as they may seem!  They could just have an agenda!!Woman Wink

Super Contributor

Wow....SO much wisdom in this short (at this point) little thread!

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Respected Contributor

Life is one big lesson, but you never learn that until it's too late.

Honored Contributor

I am still working on that lesson.....to forgive those who have hurt me....I tend to hold grudges forever.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mine is similar to yours, chickenbutt.  I still fall into those patterns of thought at times. I think one other thing I had to learn is to accept that I'll never get to have a different childhood. I'm stuck with the one I got.  I feel like there is always going to be something missing, and there isn't anything that can fix it.

So if I want to watch a Disney movie, or color in an adult coloring book, or blow soap bubbles, or insall a swing in the big tree in my yard - just for ME -  I no longer care what people think. 

I can't change the past, but there is no good reason why I shouldn't do do some of the things I missed out on. We're never too old to play. Smiley Happy

New Contributor

Not to buy everything on QVC lol!

Honored Contributor

Anita Hug wrote:

Mine is similar to yours, chickenbutt.  I still fall into those patterns of thought at times. I think one other thing I had to learn is to accept that I'll never get to have a different childhood. I'm stuck with the one I got.  I feel like there is always going to be something missing, and there isn't anything that can fix it.

So if I want to watch a Disney movie, or color in an adult coloring book, or blow soap bubbles, or insall a swing in the big tree in my yard - just for ME -  I no longer care what people think. 

I can't change the past, but there is no good reason why I shouldn't do do some of the things I missed out on. We're never to old to play. Smiley Happy

Oh dear, I can so relate.  Even now, sometimes when just everything keeps going wrong and I'm at the point of agitation, I will hear this dialogue in my head - my (horrible)mother was right.  I AM worthless and I DO deserve for bad things to happen to me.

Yikes!  I have to shake that off before it gets out of hand.

Hugs!

Respected Contributor

I agree about going with one's gut, but, luckily, I was born with that ability and knowledge. I take no credit for it because it's just the way I am. However, despite that inner guidance, I must be slow because found it really hard to learn that one can go on with one's  life and even find joy in SPITE of serious problems. Hard to explain, but when I was very young I would sort of feel I had to stop my life until everything was FIXED and back to normal. Fate or spirit conspired to put things in my path that helped me slowly learn that in life, things change, nit everything can be fixed, and that the notion if what's "normal" continually changes. Weathering my patents' divorce in my teens,   the stunning sudden death of my hero stepdad in a car accident or being there for my mother's subsequent brain tumor surgery and her many other surgeries and health problems  or facing my own chronic health issue, I learned to keep living and to experience joy amid the stuff that life throws at all of us. Yes, that's life, and my experience is normal, but it was something I knew I needed to consciously work at. Now, my dad and stepmother both have dementia, and I am involved in their lives daily, but I find that the lessons of the past decades are paying off and I can work to help them without needing to focus on how I am coping. There is a lot of joy along the way, still. And unexpected blessings. I never really got to know my stepsister because our parents married when we were both in college, and we have never even lived in the same state. But, in working together to help our folks at this difficult time, she and I have become true friends and sisters! We laugh, we cry, we share.... I have thanked God for yet another example that even in tough times, joy might be just around the corner. Who knew I would have a new sister at this age! 

Trusted Contributor

Mine would be to let other's live their lives as they wish (no matter how messed up their situation may be).  I cannot control others (and have no desire to) but trust me when I say I could start another thread about the garbage people put up with and the amount of times I've asked myself "Why???"  It makes me sad to see people close to me putting up with emotional abuse but I've learned to keep my mouth shut ~ when I try to understand the situation I get excuses about why so-and-so is the way they are.  The resentment that should be on the abuser is then on me.  So now it is live and let live, tough as it may be...  :-)