Honored Contributor

Re: What is proper fence etiquette?

Generally, if you're purchasing the fence and installing it fully in your yard, you decide on the type and color of the fence, which is generally uniform on both sides. I'd say as long as you pick something normative, and not a really off the charts color, a heads-up to your neighbors that a fence is going to go up is all you need to do.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Congratulations on your new home and, wow, would I trade my neighbors for a considerate one like you any day.

Just wanted to add that if you have an HOA, they'll tell you straight up what you can do and what you can't in the neighborhood.    

Occasional Contributor

Make your decsions and then go have an open and honest discussion with your neighbors. Be prepared for a lukewarm response, most folks don't like change.  The fence posts should face YOUR property, color and style are your choice, as long as they conform with any neighborhood restrictions that might exist.  Both sides of the fence effect your home's appearance and property value.  Have a survey done and place the fence on your side of the property line.  This will prevent future disputes when you or one of your neighbors go to sell.  You can't predict the future, but you can control your effort to be a good neighbor. 

Respected Contributor

I'm chuckling at the idea that a fence will make any difference when It comes to all that barking from your dog.  I feel sorry for those neighbors.  I think if you want to be a good neighbor, you should discuss the fence with the neighbors first.  It's on your property, you don't need their permission but it would be nice to bring them in on the plan and discuss the type, height and your chronic barker.   

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

In our neighborhood, the type of fence you are describing is placed with the posts-exposed side facing the fence-owners yard.  The decorative side faces the neighbors. 

Excellent point. 

Respected Contributor

First check your city, town and neighborhood restrictions.  For example, we are not allowed to use chain link fences.  If your wooden fence qualifies, you might speak with the neighbors, but I am sure that they would prefer to have the finished side facing them, which I feel is a courtesy.  I would not paint or stain their side without their "blessing".  You might really tick them off if it's a color they don't like.  Personally I would just leave it natural.  Most people will either plant in front of it or stain it themselves.  You can, of course, stain bothsides of the front as you like. As for placement, I think it is pretty normal to come inside your property line 4 to 6 inches here.  It could go on the property line if you are sure it is well marked. You mght otherwise infringe on them and create issues.  And since you have a dog - especially one that barks - be sure you take the fence down as far as possible to the ground and watch carefully to be sure your pup doesn't decide that he would rather dig under than be confined. He/she might miss seeing out of the yard where the passersby can't be seen. This could become a problem later.

It's true "Good fences make good neighbors", but only if you communicate with the neighbors first.  Some people are paranoid about fences.

Trusted Contributor

Good fences make great neighbors! I had to put one up to reinforce my property lines with one neighbor who later moved. New neighbors coming in now know exactly who owns what.

The first thing to do is to hire a qualified surveyor and have the property lines established. Whoever puts up your fence then has the surveyor's guides to make sure that you are within your own property.Most town's require a survey.

Right after securing the surveyor, tell the neighbors that you'll be putting up a fence. You're brand new so there's no hurt feelings. Best time to put up a fence. Then call your town hall or city clerk's office and make sure that you know the municipalitie's requirements.

Then hire a fence guy or company to install the kind of fence that you want. And, yes, the considerate thing to do -- and often what the town or city requires -- is to place the "good" side of the fencing facing your neighbor's property.

They may be upset at first but they will come to appreciate the fence as much as you will. Privacy and quiet works both ways. Your intentions are wonderful! And no disputes ever over who owns what!

Good luck!

Candy

Trusted Contributor

It depends on where you live on the type of fence you choose. I have a coated chain link fence and have dogs that literally grab the fence with their teeth and pull back and forth when they see someone/dog go by.

I would like to change the gates or the parts facing the street with a vinyl fence with no holes for the dogs to see passerbys.

Where I live, wooden fences rot and fall apart soon after installation. If you were to stain your fence, I would do the entire thing so as to match and protect the wood.

We have to have a permit for fences and they have to be within a certain guideline. My posts were placed a few inches inside my property line, but when the people next door moved in, they connected to my fence and they actually have a couple of inches of  my property in their fence line. Check local ordinances.

Good luck with your new house!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know how it works where you live but when my yard was fenced in a few years back we had to hire a surveyor to come and mark out the property lines before it could be installed and then it was placed inside my property line. It was wasn't cheap for the surveyor, can't recall the exact figure but it was somewhere in the $1200.00 to $1400.00 range.

Honored Contributor

We left ours natural.  I can't imagine the upkeep to paint or stain it.  I love the stencil.  Can you do that without staining the rest?

Our town has rules for where the fence goes.  Do you need a permit to install one? 

Our fence posts face into our yard.