Trusted Contributor

Re: What is proper fence etiquette?

[ Edited ]

@brii wrote:

All she asked about was a fence. 

Yikes...

No.

I believe that it was SurfK who said it best (Post #60):

In all fairness though, it was the OP in her/his originating post who characterized her/his own dog as being a barker.

And its s/he who also linked the desire for or necessity of a fence to his/her barking dog.

S/he could have just asked which side of the property line does one place the struts or supports when constructing a fence. But s/he didn't.

So the whole dog barking issue arose from her original description of her dog and the problem or reason for the fence.

Most dogs will, of course, periodically bark. If for no other reason than to clear their throat after a particularly dry Milkbone.

But for an owner to characterize her/his OWN dog as being a barker is telling ya something. Its not like s/he's the neighbor wanting to slap up a fence in the hopes it will quiet a neighboring dog whom everyone else calls a barker.

Instead its the owner of the dog telling us s/he's putting up a fence in an effort to maybe get her dog, a barker by her own admission, to bark less.

The fence situation and dog barking issue are two separate things though, really.

I mean, after all, one can put up a fence even in a neighborhood without dogs.

(Sounds like a children's book: "The Neighborhood Without Dogs").

Some people just put up a fence to block out the nakie neighbors as they prune their roses in nothing but garden clogs, gardening gloves and a sensible sun hat.

I just personally haven't experienced a fence itself being the cure for a dog that's a "barker". There are other solutions to that problem than thinking that a simple wooden fence is going to fix.

I just didn't want to see the OP go to the effort and expense of a fence if the real reason for it is his/her barking dog. Its a big move - and risk - to think that will quiet things down. Miost likely her dog is bored. A dog barks for a reason. And even if the reason is that it barks at everything that moves generally points to a dog that is, at its core, bored.

I live in a neighborhood of 12 foot high, 18-in thick walls and none of that stops a barker. Trust me. I hear one particular barker who must live over 2 blocks away. So that's thousands of yards, maybe eight walls, 300 trees and four sprawling house between us. And yet, some days, this dog still never stops talking to me (well, to the entire neighborhood).

Until animal control is called, of course. Then its owner apparently hears the barking for the very first time. Funny how that works. lol

Respected Contributor

@brii wrote:

All she asked about was a fence. 

Yikes...

This.   The word that comes to mind would get me banned for life.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Perhaps the fence is a safety measure for her dog.  It keeps the dog in the yard and other animals out. 

Dogs bark.  It's what they do. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss wrote:

I am sorry I ever posted my question about fence etiquette.  My dog is NOT a junk yard dog.  In addition, my presence in the neighborhood doesn't make it a neighborhood to stay out of.  How rude.  I can't believe how this post when from a very nice, helpful thread to where the bullies of the board took over.  I won't name names,, but just read and it will be evident where the atmosphere changed and the bullies, immature, rude people took over.

Before you start to spin...out of control. Nobody called YOUR dog a junkyard dog.

Re-read this thread and show anyone here where anyone called YOUR dog a junkyard dog.

The loose use of terms like bullying are so exaggerative especially when its neither bullying to discuss the behaviors of dogs NOR was any particular dog called any names (including junkyard dog).

Usually I don't say much when reactions are over-kill. But save the exaggeration for genuine bullying and for things that people ACTUALLY say.

The only thing directed at YOUR dog is that a fence probably won't work in cutting down on its being a BARKER and that perhap other methods would work better (than a fence) to combat that problem.

Actually, YOU are the only person who insulted your own dog by calling it a BARKER. That was, ironically enough, the toughest word used in direct connection to YOUR dog throughout this entire thread.

And it came from YOU.

Respected Contributor

Good Lord, this board has become so mundane, we fight about fences and dogs.

Respected Contributor

(Smile)  

Super Contributor

Dogs should be trained, that's what people do.

@brii wrote:

Perhaps the fence is a safety measure for her dog.  It keeps the dog in the yard and other animals out. 

Respected Contributor

@surfk wrote:

@wismiss wrote:

I am sorry I ever posted my question about fence etiquette.  My dog is NOT a junk yard dog.  In addition, my presence in the neighborhood doesn't make it a neighborhood to stay out of.  How rude.  I can't believe how this post when from a very nice, helpful thread to where the bullies of the board took over.  I won't name names,, but just read and it will be evident where the atmosphere changed and the bullies, immature, rude people took over.

Before you start to spin...out of control. Nobody called YOUR dog a junkyard dog.

Re=read this thread and show anyone where anyone called YOUR dog a junkyard dog.

The loose use of terms like bullying are so exaggerative especially when its neither bullying to discuss the behaviors of dogs NOR was any particular dog called any names (including junkyard dog).

Usually I don't say much when reactions are over-kill. But save the exaggeration for genuine bullying and for things that people ACTUALLY say.

The only thing directed at YOUR dog is that a fence probably won't work in cutting down on its being a BARKER and that perhap other methods would work better (than a fence) to combat that problem.

Actually, YOU are the only person who insulted your own dog by calling it a BARKER. That was, ironically enough, the toughest word used in direct connection to YOUR dog throughout this entire thread.

And it came from YOU.

Oh come on.  You saw an opportunity for more "creative writing" and went on a tangent at the OPs expense.

"Barker" is hardly an insult - dogs bark.  Obviously, she's an owner who pays attention to her dog.  If you really read what she posted, she just moved to a more populated area.  Previously, the dog wasn't exposed to all this stimulus and it will take time for it to adjust.  Personally, I find a privacy fence to be an absolute necessity when you have dogs, especially in an urban or suburban area, for the dogs safety.

Respected Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

Dogs should be trained, that's what people do.

@brii wrote:

The OP JUST MOVED!!!  Good grief.  Give her a chance.  A fence is a good thing when you've got a dog in a plat type neighborhood.