Respected Contributor

Re: What is proper fence etiquette?

Interesting topic, since I've been dealing with fences on 3 sides since April.  On my east side, the neighbor didn't talk to me about a new fence and just ripped out the old fence and put in a new one.  Ticked me off because I paid for that fence, and I maintained my side every year by freshening up the stain and keeping it nice looking.  He does nothing to make his yard look nice.  So now I have a new fence, but he put the ugly side in my yard, and the cross beams are not even.  He didn't ask me to pay for anything, so I haven't complained.  I have been out there this week staining my side to keep it from going gray.  Not a look that I like.

The wood fence on the west side is older, so I hired someone to stabilize the posts to make it stronger.  I also bought about 30 feet of new slats and installed them myself.  I also just finished staining all the new wood on both sides.  The wood on the other side was gray, so I bought some Deck Over solid stain and painted the other 60 feet of wood.

The guy on that side won't contribute any money, so I paid for it all.  And since he won't contribute, he gets the ugly side.

I would first talk to your neighbor and find out if they will go in half for a fence.  Around here, if the cost if split then the fence is split.  One post is on your side, the next post on the other side and so on.  If you pay for the whole thing, the ugly side goes on the neighbor's side.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This has been an interesting read!  Anywhere I've ever lived, the person who is building the fence puts the posts and slats (whatever all that support stuff is called) on the OTHER side of the fence.

BTW, as to the dog-barking problem - a fence is not going to make that any better.  We've always had 6' fences all around the sides and back of our property and you can still hear peoples' dogs barking incessantly.

Fortunately, at this point, I think we are surrounded by more people who are home with their dogs and don't just put the poor guys and gals out in the backyard alone all day/night.  

But when we first bought this house there were some who had dogs who were left alone.  That's really sad!  Dogs should not be alone all the time.

When we first bought this house my husband said 'hey, with this huge yard and all we should get a dog'.  I had to veto that as we both worked all the time and it would not have been fair.   It was well after I stopped working that we got Ru.

Honored Contributor

Scooby Doo -   Wo - what??

It was YOUR fence and the neighbor tore it down?  

That is unbelievable.  Oh, I don't mean I don't believe you.  I mean that it is unbelievably galling that somebody would do that.

Frequent Contributor

Where one puts the fence really is a consideration--legal and in other ways.  Check the legal issues/requirements.  Usually a city department can provide some help with this.  And as another person warned, there have been instances where another neighbor can become the legal owner of the property if your fence is too far in.  Think the phrase might be "adverse possession."   But not really sure.  Best of wishes on your new home.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

In our neighborhood, the type of fence you are describing is placed with the posts-exposed side facing the fence-owners yard.  The decorative side faces the neighbors. 

When we lived in town, it was customary in our area to have the the decorative side facing the homeowner who installed the fence. If the neighbor didn't like the looks of the side you put up, they would put up their own fence.

Expect to have issues with the neighbors, as most get testy when fences go up. That isn't my philosophy, as I think 'good fences make good neighbors' but many people take offense (no pun intended!).

And most municipalities have regulations about the materials, height, distance from property lines and roads that must be followed. Definitely check with the city and any HOA or township that you are living in for regulations.

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lovethesea wrote:

@wismiss wrote:

I have to admit, after reading some of the posts I'm hoping I get people like some of you for neighbors.  Others, not so much.

I imagine that there are many who are thanking God that they don't have to endure your barking dog.  How you can live with it I cannot imagine.

You're a real pleasure.   

My neighbors agree w/you!  I don't have a barking dog nor screaming children, and my neighbors appreciate my quiet presence in our lovely, peaceful neighborhood.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

There are usually laws saying a fewnce must be 18" to 2 to 3 ft inside your property line. The decorative side faces out and the less attractive side faces in toward your house. You paint it - both sides - easiest to rent a sprayer for that job.

Honored Contributor

congratulations-clip-art.jpg (320×240)

on your new home  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I also wanted to add that dogs can be trained to not bark all the time. it isn't even difficult to do. I never understand why anyone would put up with that.

Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lovethesea wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

The topic is about fence etiquette.  

... and that was thoroughly addressed.  Now we're getting to the core of the problem.

No you aren't.  And besides, the OP didn't ask you about that.

You are assuming an awful lot in your post.

Some of you are acting as if the OP is planning on leaving her dog outside 24/7, 365 days a year to just bark.    

In all fairness though, it was the OP in her/his originating post who characterized her/his own dog as being a barker.

And its s/he who also linked the desire for or necessity of a fence to his/her barking dog.

S/he could have just asked which side of the property line does one place the struts or supports when constructing a fence. But s/he didn't.

So the whole dog barking issue arose from her original description of her dog and the problem or reason for the fence.

Most dogs will, of course, periodically bark. If for no other reason than to clear their throat after a particularly dry Milkbone.

But for an owner to characterize her/his OWN dog as being a barker is telling ya something. Its not like s/he's the neighbor wanting to slap up a fence in the hopes it will quiet a neighboring dog whom everyone else calls a barker.

Instead its the owner of the dog telling us s/he's putting up a fence in an effort to maybe get her dog, a barker by her own admission, to bark less.

The fence situation and dog barking issue are two separate things though, really.

I mean, after all, one can put up a fence even in a neighborhood without dogs.

(Sounds like a children's book: "The Neighborhood Without Dogs"). Smiley LOL

Some people just put up a fence to block out the nakie neighbors as they prune their roses in nothing but garden clogs, gardening gloves and a sensible sun hat.

I just personally haven't experienced a fence itself being the cure for a dog that's a "barker". There are other solutions to that problem than thinking that a simple wooden fence is going to fix.

I just didn't want to see the OP go to the effort and expense of a fence if the real reason for it is his/her barking dog. Its a big move - and risk - to think that will quiet things down.  Miost likely her dog is bored. A dog barks for a reason. And even if the reason is that it barks at everything that moves generally points to a dog that is, at its core, bored.

I live in a neighborhood of 12 foot high, 18-in thick walls and none of that stops a barker. Trust me. I hear one particular barker who must live over 2 blocks away. So that's thousands of yards, maybe eight walls, 300 trees and four sprawling house between us. And yet, some days, this dog still never stops talking to me (well, to the entire neighborhood).

Until animal control is called, of course. Then its owner apparently hears the barking for the very first time. Funny how that works. lol