Trusted Contributor

What is proper fence etiquette?

[ Edited ]

I have just bought a home.  My dog is a barker--barks at cars going by, people walking by, bikers,etc.  So, I want to install a privacy fence so her barking is kept to a minimum and the neighbors won't be upset.

If I choose to have a wood fence built, what is proper etiquette about the side that faces the neighbors?  If I decide to paintstain the inside of my fence, do I paint/stain the outside (facing the neighbors) the same color, or should it just have a sealer put over it, or should I ask the neighbors if they want to paint/stain it a color of their choice (with my approval), or how do you handle that?  I don't want to do a chain link fence because the dog can see too much to bark at, vinyl fencing is much more expensive (although it is my first choice if I can afford it), and a wood fence might be more in my price range.  I woud like to do something like this  on just a part of the fence and then put a sealer over the part that is painted/stained. So, do I paint/stain the side facing the neighbors blue/grey or just leave it?  I really don't like the weathered look.  

Also, do you install the fence far enough in from your lot line to be able to mow and still be on your property, or do you install it right on the lot line? I was thinking if you install it in about 4-5 feet, then you can mow and weed on the neighbors side so it looks better.  

I have never lived in a city/town except for the first four years of my life, so I have never encountered a situation like this because usually our neighbors were at least 1/4 of a mile away.  I just don't want to start off on the wrong foot by creating problems with the neighbors.

Thanks for any experiences (as an owner or as a neighbor) that you would care to share.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: What is proper fence etiquette?

In our neighborhood, the type of fence you are describing is placed with the posts-exposed side facing the fence-owners yard.  The decorative side faces the neighbors. 

Honored Contributor

Your fence, you paint both the inside and the outside the color you want.  Also, do not put it right on the border rather slightly inside your property.  That way the entire fence is on your property.

Respected Contributor

Congratulations and blessing, Wismiss, on your new home.  

By all means, check your city's ordinances on fences.  Among other things, some have requirements about which side should face you (usually the uglier side) and which side the neighbor gets.  

I'd like to commend you for being considerate of your new neighbors.  I have lived near neighbors with barking dogs and assure you it can quickly become a quality of life issue. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Like Lulu said - paint/stain the entire fence whatever color you choose - but do it all the same, both sides. And sealer coat each year.  And yes, move the fence in a few feet from the property line so it's entirely on your property, and so you can mow behind it (part of your property that adjoins the neighbors).  You'll love having a privacy fence!  Enjoy.

Super Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

I have just bought a home.  My dog is a barker--barks at cars going by, people walking by, bikers,etc.  So, I want to install a privacy fence so her barking is kept to a minimum and the neighbors won't be upset.

If I choose to have a wood fence built, what is proper etiquette about the side that faces the neighbors?  If I decide to paintstain the inside of my fence, do I paint/stain the outside (facing the neighbors) the same color, or should it just have a sealer put over it, or should I ask the neighbors if they want to paint/stain it a color of their choice (with my approval), or how do you handle that?  I don't want to do a chain link fence because the dog can see too much to bark at, vinyl fencing is much more expensive (although it is my first choice if I can afford it), and a wood fence might be more in my price range.  I woud like to do something like this  on just a part of the fence and then put a sealer over the part that is painted/stained. So, do I paint/stain the side facing the neighbors blue/grey or just leave it?  I really don't like the weathered look.  

Also, do you install the fence far enough in from your lot line to be able to mow and still be on your property, or do you install it right on the lot line? I was thinking if you install it in about 4-5 feet, then you can mow and weed on the neighbors side so it looks better.  

I have never lived in a city/town except for the first four years of my life, so I have never encountered a situation like this because usually our neighbors were at least 1/4 of a mile away.  I just don't want to start off on the wrong foot by creating problems with the neighbors.

Thanks for any experiences (as an owner or as a neighbor) that you would care to share.

I would not choose chain link for reasons that you mentioned and also because it cheapens property values.. A block wall is the best for trying to block out noise. It also lasts forever. Wood evenually will need to be replaced. Neighbors will like you more if your dog is not allowed to bark all day/all night.

Respected Contributor

A fence can be construed as property lines.   My neighbor put hers on another's property and then won the overage in court.

Super Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@wismiss wrote:

I would not choose chain link for reasons that you mentioned and also because it cheapens property values.. A block wall is the best for trying to block out noise. It also lasts forever. Wood eventually will need to be replaced. Neighbors will like you more if your dog is not allowed to bark all day/all night.

Honored Contributor

The fence we have is cedar and looks the same from either side.  

Honored Contributor

We have a custom made fence whereas neither side looks unfinished. 

We left it up to the neighbor if they wanted to choose to paint it whatever color they wanted.  We left our side natural, so did they. 

Can't remember what type of wood it is, but it hasn't changed any yet.  It's only 2 or 3 years old.

Congratulations on your new house!!!  We just had an offer accepted today for one too!