Respected Contributor

Re: What is one Store that has closed that you miss the most??

@WORKING GAL wrote:

@azgal- I miss Mervyns also.  Especially their month end sales on a Friday, the prices were awesome.  Do you remember Gemco.

I'm in So. Cal. and Gemco was one store I could always count on to find what I was looking for.

@WORKING GAL 

Yes, I remember Gemco back when I lived in San Joaquin Valley many years ago.

Valued Contributor

in the Chicagoland area Carson Pirie Scott

Honored Contributor

@Terrywu wrote:

in the Chicagoland area Carson Pirie Scott

@Terrywu 

My mother would take us to the Loop on her day off and we'd have lunch at the Tartan Tray Cafeteria.

A good memory.

The Department Store Museum: Carson Pirie Scott & Co.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

Benny"s .... they had everything !

Regular Contributor

Clover

Respected Contributor

When Pier One closed, their merchandise went to Tuesday Morning. Now, Tuesday Morning is closing. Most of the Pier One things had already been sold, but they only have a few things left. 
just learned the spa I have been going to for 15 years is also closing. It is getting depressing when a really good store is bulldozed and more apartments are built there. In my area, the cheaply-built apartment buildings drag down the whole area with increased traffic, noise, and crime. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm going back decades but I miss the old Woolworths where you could buy anything from needles to turtles lol.

Trusted Contributor

So many mentioned I've never even heard of, but, in my neck of the woods, we've lost Macy's a few years ago and just recently, Bed, Bath & Beyond. 

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

@Catch71 wrote:

Going way back, but as a child my Mom took me to Korvettes and Woolworths lunch counter for a hot dog and root beer float! That was our bonding time!

As a child, my Dad managed a hotel in a suburb of Dallas and we lived on the top floor of that hotel. Well, I would strap on my roller skates 😀😀 and my Mom would walk behind me as we went just up the block to Woolworths for lunch! I know, sounds crazy! I loved the lunch counter there! Those were fun times!

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Super Contributor

I miss Miller's Outpost and 5-7-9.

Of course, these days I can't fit in most of what they offered, but the memories are great from being a teen and shopping there.

Also, I loved going to Emporium-Capwell at Christmas with my mom and grandma.  I still have a gift box from there that has to be over 45 years old.  I keep old letters in it now.