Super Contributor

Re: What is making my cat howl at night & run around like she's having a private party?

On 9/15/2014 lolakimono said:

It sounds like HYPERTHYROIDISM. Has your kitty lost weight too? How does the coat look? Is she drinking more?

I am going to take her again to the vet. I don't know if they looked for hyperthyroidism, I'm not sure what that is, but I am going to ask! She hasn't lost weight, but she has always been a trim kitty. She has a free flowing dry food feeder and lots of water and I feed her two cans of wet food a day (she licks the gravy or liquid, takes two bits, maybe three, and then the dog will eat the rest, lol)! She's always eaten this way! She and the dog get along so well. She has outlived many dogs too. Smiley Sad

Which reminds me! Two dogs ago, when that dog passed, she howled then, she would go to the leash sniff it and howl. She didn't eat well for days, weeks it seemed, if at all. The entire family was hit hard when this dog passed, it had been a major part of the family, but our cat really took it hard, as well. She would curl up with our dying dog (renal failure) and lick our dog's face. She tried to nurse her back, as we all did. It was so upsetting, sorry…but this was years ago.

Our cat has a new dog to play with! And they get along so well. When you try to put the collar and leash on the dog (it's a slip on), the cat will walk up, next to the dog, sit there, like the dog, and you have to put the collar over her head as if you are going to walk her! Of course, she's an indoor cat, so she knows it's just for "show" (so the dog knows who's boss, I suppose, lol).

Thanks again!

Super Contributor

Re: What is making my cat howl at night & run around like she's having a private party?

On 9/15/2014 candys mine said:

I'm in the hyperthyroid camp too. Signs include eating VERY well yet losing weight. Going through a "second kittenhood". Vocalizing more. Increased heart rate. Soft stool. even vomiting. watch the trends. Let the Vet know kitty has a change in her behavior, at 15 years old things can start to happen. If she hasn't had any bloodwork run in the past 6 months that may be in order just to check that all systems are in working order. OR maybe it's just the change in the seasons!

She's always been a trim kitty. No matter how much she eats, because she is so active, she never seems to get a nice rounded look which I wish she'd have. But the vet says she's okay, but I am taking her back to ask about this hyperthyroid problem you, as well as others, have suggested! She doesn't vomit, she does vocalize more, I'm not sure about heart rate, but she is purring more than ever, when she's not howling, I am waking up with her purring as she is curled up near my head or on top of my chest! She has regular poos, but I am watching to see if anything changes. She's into everything though. Even doing the laundry, she jumped on on the dryer, next to the washer and wanted to watch me put things in the washer! She's so odd lately, lol!

Thanks for your advice!

Super Contributor

On 9/15/2014 kittymomNC said:

My question would be, has your cat had a complete "senior wellness profile" --bloodwork--done recently? If not, that might be something you should do. This can rule out kidney disease (which can have some other issues along with it) or other problems. Also, vets don't always do it, but have you had her blood pressure taken?

I found out a couple of months ago that high blood pressure is a common occurrence in a cat with kidney disease. One of the symptoms of a blood pressure "spike" can be odd behavior, looking around at things you know aren't there, and vocalization of different types. My cat that has had kidney disease for 3-1/2 years had those symptoms, and the vets first thought it might be "dementia". There is a drug called Selegiline (used mostly in dogs) that can also be prescribed for cats for dementia, but you need to have a serious talk with your vet before trying it.

We went through several weeks of different meds, etc., but finally had her blood pressure checked when she had one of these episodes and it was WAY high. She was put on a low dose of blood pressure medication, since then has had two more episodes and has had her meds increased twice. The high blood pressure can mimic dementia.

The article in the link Sabatini2 posted mentions both dementia and high blood pressure. This is just something to consider if you haven't had a complete blood workup done. I've been blessed with 3-1/2 years with my cat that I didn't think I would have, and it's due to catching the problems early and treating them. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I am going to call the vet and make an appointment, a full check up. She went within the past year and was fine. I'm thinking it may not be health though, but I'm going to call. She isn't really sick, though--she's just extremely impish and loud and cuddly and curious (hey! why am I worried!). But I will call the vet and ask about bloodwork. I know they took blood last time, because I remember that..she didn't wince (I did), she didn't even complain!

I'll ask about blood pressure as well. Full check up (although I bet this is what they did).

Thanks so much for sharing and your advice! Your cat is lucky to have you!

---

And thank you again, to everyone for taking their time to share advice and stories and help! I truly appreciate it!

Super Contributor

On 9/16/2014 ical said:
On 9/15/2014 Jeremiah 2911 said:

Is your house completely dark at night? Elderly cats can lose some of their sensory perception as they age; hearing, sense of smell, sight....

Try leaving a light on or add night lights to your home so that your cat can see where she is. This may calm her down as she may be slightly confused about where she is.

If your cats sight or hearing is starting to fade a bit, you might consider putting her in your bedroom or in another bedroom at night so that she doesn't have the run of the house -- as she may be getting confused. If you can put a small night light in the room, that may help.

Two of our older cats howl at the mirror in the hallway. I would imagine that they are concerned about that strange looking cat that they see peering back at them. We began to put these two cats in a bedroom at night to sleep so they aren't howling at the mirror all night long. That solved the howling problem immediately.

Most of the time there is a definite reason for a changed behavior in cats. Try and think like a cat. The answer to the problem will eventually come to you. Smiley Happy

The other thing to consider is that your kitty may have an undiagnosed medical problem. There are several things (besides sensory loss) that can cause a cat to howl. Ask you vet to do a work-up on your cat to find out if your kitty has any medical problems.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Thanks for this information and sharing! You know, it's funny because I was trying to figure it out, and I thought, maybe because it is getting darker earlier, she might not be able to go to the basement to use her kitty litter box (even though there are windows and she never had a problem in the dark before). So I dug out one of my Bethlehem lights automatic window candles and placed it near her litter box so it will automatically turn on when it is dark. It runs on batteries (thankfully, there is no convenient plug down there). I love your mirror story about your kitties! Cats are so awesome!

Also, my kitty didn't howl as much last night! Maybe the light worked? I don't know, but she also is sleeping in odd spots too all of a sudden. I am going to call the vet and have her checked out again too, just in case! Thanks again!

I would also suggest that you place a litter box upstairs somewhere for your kitty. She is an older cat and may have urgency issues: She may be having trouble holding it until she gets downstairs in the basement.

Basement located litter boxes for upstairs dwelling cats are one of the top reasons cats start piddling and pooing inappropriately. This is especially true for older cats. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 9/16/2014 Jeremiah 2911 said:
On 9/16/2014 ical said:
On 9/15/2014 Jeremiah 2911 said:

Is your house completely dark at night? Elderly cats can lose some of their sensory perception as they age; hearing, sense of smell, sight....

Try leaving a light on or add night lights to your home so that your cat can see where she is. This may calm her down as she may be slightly confused about where she is.

If your cats sight or hearing is starting to fade a bit, you might consider putting her in your bedroom or in another bedroom at night so that she doesn't have the run of the house -- as she may be getting confused. If you can put a small night light in the room, that may help.

Two of our older cats howl at the mirror in the hallway. I would imagine that they are concerned about that strange looking cat that they see peering back at them. We began to put these two cats in a bedroom at night to sleep so they aren't howling at the mirror all night long. That solved the howling problem immediately.

Most of the time there is a definite reason for a changed behavior in cats. Try and think like a cat. The answer to the problem will eventually come to you. Smiley Happy

The other thing to consider is that your kitty may have an undiagnosed medical problem. There are several things (besides sensory loss) that can cause a cat to howl. Ask you vet to do a work-up on your cat to find out if your kitty has any medical problems.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Thanks for this information and sharing! You know, it's funny because I was trying to figure it out, and I thought, maybe because it is getting darker earlier, she might not be able to go to the basement to use her kitty litter box (even though there are windows and she never had a problem in the dark before). So I dug out one of my Bethlehem lights automatic window candles and placed it near her litter box so it will automatically turn on when it is dark. It runs on batteries (thankfully, there is no convenient plug down there). I love your mirror story about your kitties! Cats are so awesome!

Also, my kitty didn't howl as much last night! Maybe the light worked? I don't know, but she also is sleeping in odd spots too all of a sudden. I am going to call the vet and have her checked out again too, just in case! Thanks again!

I would also suggest that you place a litter box upstairs somewhere for your kitty. She is an older cat and may have urgency issues: She may be having trouble holding it until she gets downstairs in the basement.

Basement located litter boxes for upstairs dwelling cats are one of the top reasons cats start piddling and pooing inappropriately. This is especially true for older cats. Smiley Happy

You know, that's an incredibly good idea! I really didn't even think of this…maybe because I don't want to see her as getting old. She's been a part of the family for so long. I'm going to do that! ug..I really hate the idea of it, but she's important enough. I'd hate to think she's holding it to go downstairs. Thanks again! What a cool cat person you are!

Smile

Respected Contributor

ical, just have to say your kitty girl sounds like the sweetest girly ever!