Honored Contributor

What is just not worth it to you?

Of all the things that Q sells, what, to you, is just not worth the money it costs? Even if you could easily afford it, what wouldn't you buy because of the price?

There are many things offered here that I don't buy, but it isn't because I don't like them or think they are not pretty/nice. I skip clothing and shoes, because I can't buy without trying on. I don't buy beauty products because I don't use them with the exception of Wen and some Loccitane. I love good gold jewelry, but only need a few basic pieces, so I don't buy that either.

The real thing here I just can't justify the money for is the pricey handbags. Many going 3 or 4 hundred dollars. It's just too rich for my blood, and even though I have owned some of these brands, and they are very beautiful and very well made, they just aren't worth the money for me. I realize one of these good bags will outlast five cheap ones, but I'm so hard on bags, and want a change every year or two, that I can't justify it.

I don't want this to turn into an argumentative thread, but I am interested to see what things people think are just too much money for the way they live their lives. There is no wrong or right answer, these are just opinions based on your lifestyle and budget.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is just not worth it to you?

On 6/21/2014 mominohio said:

Of all the things that Q sells, what, to you, is just not worth the money it costs? Even if you could easily afford it, what wouldn't you buy because of the price?

There are many things offered here that I don't buy, but it isn't because I don't like them or think they are not pretty/nice. I skip clothing and shoes, because I can't buy without trying on. I don't buy beauty products because I don't use them with the exception of Wen and some Loccitane. I love good gold jewelry, but only need a few basic pieces, so I don't buy that either.

The real thing here I just can't justify the money for is the pricey handbags. Many going 3 or 4 hundred dollars. It's just too rich for my blood, and even though I have owned some of these brands, and they are very beautiful and very well made, they just aren't worth the money for me. I realize one of these good bags will outlast five cheap ones, but I'm so hard on bags, and want a change every year or two, that I can't justify it.

I don't want this to turn into an argumentative thread, but I am interested to see what things people think are just too much money for the way they live their lives. There is no wrong or right answer, these are just opinions based on your lifestyle and budget.

Too late {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

The pricy handbags. I live 10 minutes from a Dooney Outlet so I can get great deals all the time. I cannot justify Ripka or Wen. Those prices are outrageous in my opinion.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm with you on handbags -- I would never spend that much money on a bag. I change my mind too often, my likes and dislikes change, and I wouldn't want to feel like I had to carry one for several years just because I paid so much for it. Variety is the spice of life! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

I agree about the handbags. I just don't think those thousand dollar bags look that great or better than less expensive bags.

I have a Lee Sands' eelskin purse from Q and another faux leather purse from a local dept. store that get many compliments and questions asking where I bought them.

Why spend thousands when they don't look any better?

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Valued Contributor

While I enjoy looking at some high end handbags, they are not for me as I like to change mine out. I'd rather pay less and have more choices to carry throughout the year.

As for jewelry, many years ago, I spent way too much money on that and eventually realized that I only need fewer nicer, quality pieces. A friend of mine hand makes her own jewelry from silver and other various metals. She's won awards for her jewelry and when I see just the right piece, I usually support her small business.

After moving twice in one year, I realized there is a lot of things I don't want to buy anymore; it's more like need vs. want for me.

Super Contributor

No matter what I write and how I write it my opinion will seem like an insult to someone out there so I will just sit on my hands this time.

Super Contributor

I saw some cute sandals yesterday at over $100. They're not in the Manolo price range, and I could afford them, but I have a mental cut off quite a bit lower than that for "just sandals". If they were for a special event and they were absolutely perfect with my intended outfit, then maybe, but not just as regular summer sandals that I'm going to get all scuffed up.

Honored Contributor

Judith Ripka and Wen. Nothing about either would entice me to buy.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I agree with you exactly, kitty mom. I do change my mind a lot and I can donate nice little bags without feeling so bad about spending so much money if I have been rational about it all. I would feel way out there if I purchased those expensive bags and still put them aside frequently -- and I would.