Respected Contributor

Re: What is everyone doing for the 4th of July?

@bathina wrote:

I'm going with a group of friends to Washington, DC. We'll be on the Mall, with signs.

We rented a house in Silver Springs w/a pool, so I anticipate spending late evening cooling off.

@bathina 

You will be in my neck of the woods.  Prepare for the DC heat and humidity.

I am guessing there will be many signs on the Mall this year.

Enjoy your trip and stay cool!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

We are going to our club tomorrow night for a cookout.  They do their own fireworks display and it is always great.

On the 4th, we will stay at home and try to keep our dogs calm.  They both hate the sound of fireworks so it will be a challenge.

I always imagine the perfect July 4th celebration as that scene in the movie "Doc Hollywood."  It is a small town, parade, cookout, lights strung around on top of the small dance floor in the evening, and a lake where you can row to watch the fireworks fly. Smiley Happy

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@RedTop I know it's not funny to you but I get a kick out of the antics of your trashy neighbors. In rural areas, there is little the authorities can/will do with people like that. 

We will cook out between the raindrops that are predicted. In the evening, we watch the PBS show from Washington D.C.

Respected Contributor

Hi @Mersha . I'm in your city quite often! I have a close friend nearby and I make several trips to DC every year. We're hoping there is a large turnout. This is the first year we've done anything like this in DC on the 4th.

I'm getting myself used to the idea that we're going to be wilted almost immediately.

Enjoy the holiday!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina     You may be all set with your plans, but in case not, here is some information that might help.  

I hope you are going to take the Metro to the Mall from Silver Spring.  If so, try to get your Metro pass purchased ahead of time to avoid the long, long lines to buy cards or refill them on the actual holiday itself.  

You can no longer exit a station if you have a fare shortage of any amount on your card.  In any 24 hr. period you can only use the same debit  or credit card to add money three times before it will be rejected, even if funds are available.  

Before I moved here permanently I instead used cash to replenish mine to save hassles, using fives or tens.  Now I load a lot of money upfront since I use it several times a week and my card is registered so if I lose it I don't lose the value left on it once I report its loss and it will be replaced with a new card.  

You need the card to enter and to exit the stations, by the way, unlike some other subway systems so keep it handy when you board the train.  I keep mine in the same inner pocket in my purse so I can easily find it when I get to the exit turnstile.   

The Metro will be very busy with all sorts of visitors and there are only so many machines available for the cards at each station.  

When using the escalators stay to the right--the locals appreciate being able to have a path to run up or down to get to the platform or street level more quickly, and they despise tourists who don't follow this courtesy.

From what I've seen on the local DC news there is going to be more security than ever and all the streets around the mall sound like there are going to be choke points--my take on check points.  I would carry as little as possible; wear comfortable shoes.  The National Park Service has a list of what is permissable to bring to the Mall on the 4th.   

You will need lots of water--temps are going to be in the 90s and 40% chance of scattered rain and thunderstorms.

If you are going to drive in--good luck with parking around the Mall, which is never good on a regular day, never mind a holiday with the expectation of so many visitors.  

If you do have to drive, drive to a Metro station with a parking garage (check to see if Silver Spring has one--I think it does.)  Find out which station is closest to the end of the Mall you want to be at.  But be prepared for a lot of walking.  I also heard they are closing bridges--another good reason not to drive in. 

The DC Metro website can provide a list of attached parking, hours of operation, etc.  I think I heard that if you have a smart phone the MPD--DC police--has a special app you can download to your phone to get alerts for the day.  Maybe the Park Service does as well, not sure.

Anyway, have fun, enjoy and welcome to my adopted city--it really is a wonderful place and most people will be very helpful and friendly as long as they have lived here long enough to give you directions if you get lost.

Happy Fourth and safe travels.  aroc3435 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435excellent, excellent advice for our city and the Metro.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@aroc3435excellent, excellent advice for our city and the Metro.I

===

Yes that was thoughtful of @aroc3435 . I've probably used public transportation twice in my whole life (with someone who knew how it works). I'd never be able to maneuver in a big city!

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

Hi @Mersha . I'm in your city quite often! I have a close friend nearby and I make several trips to DC every year. We're hoping there is a large turnout. This is the first year we've done anything like this in DC on the 4th.

I'm getting myself used to the idea that we're going to be wilted almost immediately.

Enjoy the holiday!

@bathina 

Stay safe, drink lots of water and watch out for the tanks. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@AuntG,

I know, right?   These 2 boys are very close in age to my daughters, they are mentally and physically capable, but don’t have a thimble full of ambition between them!   I don’t think either has ever worked at one job for 365 straight days. 

We have seen some of the most stupid stuff in the 20+ years they’ve been up there, but these 2 can literally one-up their own stupidity!!   Just when you think you have seen it all, I guarantee there will be an eye rolling, shake your head, cuss worthy moment very soon.   

We are out far enough in the county to essentially get by with a lot, as far as noise, trash, junk cars, and all the stuff these 2 do.  We have family in local law enforcement, and have discussed these neighbors many times.   Our county passed a new ordinance regarding trash, etc., on property, and in time that will catch up to them; they are not the worst in the county, just the worst in this neighborhood.  In the meantime, I have 2 chairs, and buckets of citronella candles on the porch ready to watch whatever comes next!

Honored Contributor

We are getting out of town and going to the mountains a few hours away. On the 4th we'll just grill and build a fire in the firepit.  The older I get, the more I appreciate the peace and quiet.