Honored Contributor

Re: What is considered an "essential business" these days?

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Georgiagrama      Makes you wonder...it's grass mowing season in my area...landscape people cannot work...now what is going to happen when the grass gets high and rodents/bugs start living in the tall grass...makes no sense to me.

It takes one person to mow, trim and blow the sidewalk/driveway.

it is grass cutting season here in maryland also......since two weeks ago. landscapers are considered essential workers here. this week will be our third week of getting our grass cut.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

I am not happy that building construction is deemed essential in our DC area. Poor employees cannot usually keep social/physical distance on job sites.
Honored Contributor

I have a friend that works for a large business, one of his employees tested positive for the virus this weekend.  He said the CDC told them the ill person had to have face to face contact for 30 minutes before there would be any contamination....we all thought that contradicted what we have been told over the last few months.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

Merle Norman is open here also. Goodwill Stores are opening 21 of their 90 stores tomorrow in Phoenix. I think Govenor Ducey is sufferering from Brain Freeze. From when he was CEO of Cold Stone Creamery.

@cactusgal    I would think that a Goodwill store would be the last place you could practice social distancing...... but, that's just me.   

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

It probably varies state to state.  Check your Dept of Health website.

This is the best answer!   Yes, it varies from state to state.  I live in one state, but own a business in another.  

In both states, all nail and hair salons are closed, so I'm sure that includes a business like Merle Norman 

@september   Hair and nail salons are closed in our area as well.  So are the little gift and clothing boutiques.  I guess that's why I wondered what made Merle Norman and essential.  Our Merle Norman also sells clothing and jewelry.  

Valued Contributor

Same as other people with mental illness I imagine. 

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Georgiagrama      Makes you wonder...it's grass mowing season in my area...landscape people cannot work...now what is going to happen when the grass gets high and rodents/bugs start living in the tall grass...makes no sense to me.

It takes one person to mow, trim and blow the sidewalk/driveway.

it is grass cutting season here in maryland also......since two weeks ago. landscapers are considered essential workers here. this week will be our third week of getting our grass cut.

Our state has shut down lawn service....over the top crazy!  One person mows the lawn...or one person in a truck sprays the weed & feed on the lawn.  By not letting these small business stay open which can clearly practice all recommendations and have zero contact with the home owner just adds to the unemployment claims.  Can't buy potting soil....can't buy seeds....a rake....no outdoor lawn care can be purchased but you can buy weed and lottery tickets. The over reach here is way out of control.  

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

IMO all businesses are essential.  Anybody employed by them earns money for families.

If people can safely practice social distancing, wear masks/gloves, and walk down one-way aisles at the grocery store, they should have the option to do the same at other businesses--especially if those businesses want to remain open.

@wildcat fan -Totally agree! If you are compromised in any way and are concerned for your own personal safety, then by all means, stay home if YOU SO CHOOSE. But don't shut down entire economies. 

Super Contributor

Hair salons are definitely essential!