Trusted Contributor

Re: What is considered an "essential business" these days?

How is 90% of what the Q sells essential?

It is only because it is a television/broadcasting business?

Can you imagine how many people are working at the Q, manning the phones for orders, setting stages, maintenance and janitorial, camera people, etc?

Honored Contributor

What is considered essential is in the eye of the beholder.  We have an order for non essential businesses to close.  Joann fabrics and Michael's stayed open.  The local police had to get a definition from the governor's office, then went and told them to close.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

What is considered essential is in the eye of the beholder.  We have an order for non essential businesses to close.  Joann fabrics and Michael's stayed open.  The local police had to get a definition from the governor's office, then went and told them to close.

@GCR18 

maryland has a long list of essential businesses. of course, even some essential businesses have closed voluntarily.

interestlingly, in our state, joann fabrics and michaels are closed.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Seems to vary wildly from municipality to municipality, state to state. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

@GCR18 

maryland has a long list of essential businesses. of course, even some essential businesses have closed voluntarily.

interestlingly, in our state, joann fabrics and michaels are closed.

@sunshine45  as they should be.  I guess the store managers here considered their stores essential and didn't close. 

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

It probably varies state to state.  Check your Dept of Health website.

This is the best answer!   Yes, it varies from state to state.  I live in one state, but own a business in another.  

In both states, all nail and hair salons are closed, so I'm sure that includes a business like Merle Norman 

Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

I guess I need to re think my priorities.  Schools shut down, churches shut down, many small businesses are shut down, and restaurants only surviving because they are offering take outs. 

But, the Merle Norman store in my little town is wide open for business.  An essential? 

I can't help but wonder if they will also apply for the small business relief check. 

Now, that's just crazy!

@Georgiagrama 

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama      Makes you wonder...it's grass mowing season in my area...landscape people cannot work...now what is going to happen when the grass gets high and rodents/bugs start living in the tall grass...makes no sense to me.

It takes one person to mow, trim and blow the sidewalk/driveway.

Honored Contributor

@chlema in my state you can order 2 alcohlic drinks per food order.

Frequent Contributor

In Oklahoma, our governor has declared golf courses "essential".   After I thought about it, I agreed. He was thinking of all the women whose husbands were home and driving them crazy!

Spoiler