Honored Contributor

Re: What is complete recovery time after cataract surgery?

@Flopsy wrote:

I had mine done a week apart last December.  First day for each I wore patch all day and night then nighttime for a week.  I had three sets of drops for each eye.  I'm probably not a classic case because I was very sensitive to light for a few weeks and still take steroids for the stinging.  I would say 1 to 2 days for each eye.  My doctor likes to do the surgery 3 weeks apart but as I said mine was a week apart due to me traveling and the holidays.  No way could I have done both same day, you couldn't see to do anything!  Good luck, I no longer wear any type of glasses.

You'll find that stays with you the sensitivity to light

Dr. said "that's because now you don't have that cloudy old lens", but, I don't believe it. Looking at

the LED lights on radio, washer, real bright sunshine you have to put your hands over your eyes till you can turn away and wear sunglasses most importantly.

I woke up during surgery (no didn't see nothing but I could hear the Dr and the anesthesia man talking heard the Dr. say "Oh no she blinked" and the gas man said You got it at 98% that's fine ) never told him I could hear for just couple of seconds) LOL

Honored Contributor

I subscribe to a newsletter called Best Pills/Worst Pills. I was reading about a preservative that's in the eye drops I'll probably be taking if I have the surgery. It says NEVER USE THIS. I already used it for an eye infection so I don't know what it did or didn't do. I'm putting off the surgery for as long as I can. Sunlight kills my vision so it will have to be soon. 

Are you saying Medicare or insurance won't pay for dropless surgery???

Respected Contributor

I felt fine after I woke up from the sedative.  There is no pain involved, just those eye drops that you have to put in several times a day.  My eyes were done 2 days apart.  My vision was so bad I couldn't see between appointments.  One eye was good and the other was bad.  My doctor told me that it was the insurance companies that used to require two weeks between surgeries but they don't do that any more.  

If you can see with one good eye you could go back to work the next day.  It's easy peasy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

I have had the procedure on both eyes.  Each time, the doctor gave me a sheet with instructions for what to do or not do and when.  If you didn't get that, you ought to call his office and have them download the information.

It is plain foolhardy to ask a question like this one on a forum.  Everyone is different and responds differently to medical procedures.  You run the risk of getting answers that don't fit you.

@Cats3000 

Guess you think that those that post questions here are as dumb as a rock. So asking others about their experiences with different medical issues/procedures, means "they think everyone's body is the same"!

Foolhardy! First time I have seen someone posting about how ill informed the members that post in this forum, us that word. Congrats for thinking up a new word to let us know how dumb we are on this Wellness Forum.

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Maggie Nolia wrote:

Forgot to ask doctor today.  Trying to determine how long I should expect to be out of work before scheduling it.

TIA.

This is individualized to the patient @Maggie Nolia . If you have a particularly dense cataract or underlying other conditions of the eye, recovery is slower. 

Only your provider can actually tell you your timeline. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

My DH had it on a Thursday and went back next Monday. 

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@spumoni99,  medicare has some strange rules about what can be done at the same time.  It would be a good idea to verify that having both eyes done at the same time would be fully covered.

We have medical coverage through Kaiser, I am retired from the state of CA, very good medical coverage for retirees.

Honored Contributor

Here is my cataract surgery story. Had one eye done Feb 21. I used compounded drops, cost $40 from a pharmacy in Montana sent by mail, use one bottle only, a real pleasure, begin 3 days prior to surgery and use for a month after wth gradual decrease in the amount per week. Had mine done in a hospital on a Tues, for free hospital gave me a lovely bag filled with all kinds of supplies including the usual 3 drop bottles which I never used. I took off rest of week but I didnt have to but I figured why not? Wore eye makeup in a few days and drive in a few days. saw doc next day, then a week later and yesterday was my final checkup. I just signed on for the other eye, didnt need it when I first signed on but it is getting worse, go in May for that one. Also a mini pre op. Never heard of doing both at once, my doc will do them 2 to 3 weeks apart.  All in all, a piece of cake. Vision in the surgical eye is crystal clear. Highly recommend the compounded drops even if the 3 bottles are free, pain in the neck to work from 3 at a time 

Honored Contributor

@Maggie Nolia @Shelbelle @spumoni99 @AuntG @Trinity11 @Kachina624 

Ladies, if I may jump in.  

How long do you have to wait to wear makeup again please.  Many thanks!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Maggie Nolia @Shelbelle @spumoni99 @AuntG @Trinity11 @Kachina624 

Ladies, if I may jump in.  

How long do you have to wait to wear makeup again please.  Many thanks!

@ECBG , I waited a month as per my ophthalmologist's instructions. As a Type 1 diabetic, I heal slower, so a normal healthy individual may be able to wear eye makeup sooner. This was 16 years ago, though. The surgery has really changed a lot since then.

Nothing changed my vision more than cataract surgery. I can see like I did as a small child. Crystal clear 20/20 vision and colors? Unbelievable difference!!💐