Valued Contributor

What is complete recovery time after cataract surgery?

Forgot to ask doctor today.  Trying to determine how long I should expect to be out of work before scheduling it.

TIA.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is complete recovery time after cataract surgery?

They do one eye one week then the 2nd probably the next. You have to put drops in 3 times a day for like 5 days think it is.

Then when they do the 2nd, put drops in that eye the first one will be done with the drops by then.

In my case they gave me a kit (100.00 that contained the drops and the special glasses to keep sun glare out of your eye(s) not suppose to drive for a few days.

The kit is not covered by Medicare, but, the surgery is.

I guess they told U the options you can take and pay for yourself other then just what Medicare will pay for.

Medicare pays for old lens removal, but, he/she will tell you for more money they can rotate the new lens for a better outcome.

couple of yrs ago it was 1200, 1600, 2100 private pay

I chose the 1600 option. Medicare won't pay for it so they just turn in the basic procedure, minus the 100/kit

I had mine done in 2020 right before Covid hit and my husband died in 2021 so glad he was still around to drive me back and forth to appointments.

I'd say couple of weeks at least.

Respected Contributor

They are doing my hubbies eyes both the same day, he is retired so we didn't ask about recovery time sorry, I would guess about a week but the nurse is suppose to call any day to scheule I will ask if I remember.

Honored Contributor

I took off the day of surgery.  The next morning, my husband took me back to the doctor office for a post op exam.  

When I got home, I drove to work.  In all, I took a day and a half off of work.

I did computer and paper work and had no problems.

If you schedule your surgery on a Thursday or Friday, you could probably go back on Monday unless your doctor advises against it.

The surgery is easy and pain free...the worse part is the eye drops. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

WOW he won't be able to see. Waking up from the gas they put a eye shield over your eye as they walk you out to your car. I had one good eye at least to see to get to car

and you can't eat before the surgery so we ran to a McDonalds so I could eat.

Having both same day sounds like rough sledding.

when my sister in law had hers it was 2 weeks apart yrs ago then mine not that long ago was one week apart.

Same day though !! 

Yikes !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had surgery in the morning and went to a dentist appointment in the afternoon.  There's no reason for an extended leave from work.  I could see just fine to function with no problem.  You usually get new glasses in a few weeks. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

I had cataract surgery a few months ago. I was fine the next day to go to work. I took the next day off just because any issues being my first time. Just had medicated drops ($60) and used three times a day (almost a good month) until you see the dr and approves to stop taking. Hope all is well.!
Honored Contributor

I never wore glasses. Dr told me just to get cheap

drug store readers to see tiny print. I just need like 1.25

glasses to read by. No more blur and always seen little black what I thought was bugs. kept shooing them away and it wasn't even bugs just some kind of dots this was before surgery.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Are they actually doing both eyes at once nowdays ?

Glad I didn't have to do that.  When I had a hystorectomy I was in hospital for a week. Nurse apoligized and said back in my day a patient stayed in bed for 3 weeks.

I guess now people are made of concrete or something.

Must be having heart surgery on mon and home by that evening. ROFL

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

WOW he won't be able to see. Waking up from the gas they put a eye shield over your eye as they walk you out to your car. I had one good eye at least to see to get to car

and you can't eat before the surgery so we ran to a McDonalds so I could eat.

Having both same day sounds like rough sledding.

when my sister in law had hers it was 2 weeks apart yrs ago then mine not that long ago was one week apart.

Same day though !! 

Yikes !

Dr. said if you do both eyes the shields have a window in them so you can see. Sort of a see through shield.