Respected Contributor

Re: What is Your Favorite Childhood Memory?

My favorite childhood memories revolve around the animals I grew up with. Our property was too small to be called a ranch, so I dubbed it a ranchette. 

My mom bought a GSD puppy when I was two. I grew up with that dog, who was a brilliant companion, protector and babysitter. We were always together. It was so much fun, but I also enjoyed some chickens, lambs, bunnies, a pony, and eventually a burro who was a real braying character, followed by a horse. I was also surrounded by an extensive aviary with beautiful birds of many varieties, I've mentioned here before. It was a child's dream come true. Who could want more?

I think this may be why I'm much more fond of animals than people for the most part. I was initiated so young to love and respect all animals, while not thinking kindly of those who don't.  It's just how I grew up. My heart swells remembering those times and my old friends long past.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have so many to pick from.  One was:  you had to swim across the community pool to be able to go off the diving boards in the 12’ deep end. I was probably 6 or 7.  Made it across that afternoon and was then allowed to be on the diving boards.

I had to bring my dad back to the pool that night to have him watch me go off the high dive, at least 20 times.  He clapped every time, and endured at least an hour of it.  I was so proud.  And he was proud of me too.  I was one happy kid that day.  

Respected Contributor

I know one was requested but all are my favorite. Got sooo many

Visiting Enchanted Forest in Baltimore County

Summer vacations every year in Ocean City, MD

Eating at the White Coffee Pot

Walking with my Grandma to Milkulski's Bakery in Balto City

Christmas...we got everything we asked for

Sundays down my aunt and uncles shore home where we water skied with my dad

Shopping in Highlandtown at Epsteins with my mom, sisters and her sister

The soft ice cream and Good Humor truck that came through our neighborhood

Playing curb ball in the street

Playing 50 scatters at night

wow... and that's only half of it...if I could only go back 

Esteemed Contributor

I have to think too hard to think of something. Lets just say that I am very happy to be an adult. 

Respected Contributor

I have a lot of good memories from growing up, but the one that is most consistent, and first to come to mind, is being friends w/the girl who lived across the street from me.  She was 2 years older than me, but she was my best friend.  We did so many things together and her parents were quite good friends w/my parents.

We had sleepovers, and her mother would always put rollers in our hair.  My friend taught me about mascara.  We went swimming in her backyard pool and they had a sliding board - I loved that thing.  We learned how to count in French together.  Played Monopoly and other games.  Ate bologna sandwiches.  Her father would ride us in the back of his pick up truck when he had an errand and then we'd stop for Carvel ice cream.  When we said the same thing at the same time, we'd say "Owe me a coke, spread it on mustard" over n over n over.  We played kickball in the street.  She was just my best friend.  And then as we both grew older, we made other friends and never quite had that youthful friendship we did as kids.  She was such a nice person.  We never fought or spoke ill of each other.  Just best friends. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

HORSES!  HORSES!  HORSES!  HORSES!

And PONIES!  

Esteemed Contributor

I have a few: 

My very best memory is Palisades Amusement Park - the largest out door pool, salt water, sand & waves

murray the K and his swinging soirées - the doo wap concerts as I flew high off the ground on the swings & singing.....The Caterpillar, Fun House & The Cyclone

Playing in the streets with no fear- the Yum Yum man, Good Humor, jump rope, double Dutch, hopscotch, jacks & doing the Lindy & listening to my portable radio with my friends, scooters made from the plywood box, riding my bike, the rides that came to the neighborhood on a truck ( the whip & Ferris wheel) 

American Bandstand - Justine & Bob, Arlene & ? 

High School - football games, especially Thanksgiving with chrysanthemum corsage from your BF, sorority & cheering 

life was simple but so much happier