Trusted Contributor

Re: What is Wrong with People?

So my question to all these people in various states and counties around the country is, if your protesting and ignoring  the social distancing and wearing of masks would cause a second surge of this horrendous virus, would you give up your ventilator so someone who did follow the rules could have one? Think about that.

Esteemed Contributor

Sebastian Maniscalco has a whole comedy special on Netflix or youtube on this subject.. It's really hysterical.

Trusted Contributor

I'm on the other side.  Protect the vulnerable but let's not cause a depression. They bring on poverty and illness, and as many of us know, getting actual healthcare is near impossible.  

With 85% going through it with no to mild symptoms, a low mortality rate, multiple treatments, empty hospitals, hundreds of thousands of medical workers essentially being fired, and herd immunity winning out, open it all up!

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

I've decided to save my breath.  I'll probably need it some day.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

@NEvans2 wrote:

So my question to all these people in various states and counties around the country is, if your protesting and ignoring  the social distancing and wearing of masks would cause a second surge of this horrendous virus, would you give up your ventilator so someone who did follow the rules could have one? Think about that.

We now have a surplus of ventilators, and we're sending them overseas.

Even doctors are saying we overreacted, and the masks are actually not all that worthwhile.  One figure I heard was that 40% of the transmissions were through the eye, and since most gloved and masked people are still touching their faces, oops.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

The virus knows no " sides". There are only the living and the dead. When the science is ignored, there is more death. Texas and Georgia have already shown increases in contagion. We need to lower the curve, test more people and do more contact tracing. This is what New York is doing. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is from a trenchant piece in The Irish Times:

There are very powerful interests who demand “freedom” in order to do as they like with the environment, society and the economy. They have infused a very large part of American culture with the belief that “freedom” is literally more important than life. My freedom to own assault weapons trumps your right not to get shot at school. Now, my freedom to go to the barber (“I Need a Haircut” read one banner this week in St Paul, Minnesota) trumps your need to avoid infection.

Usually when this kind of outlandish idiocy is displaying itself, there is the comforting thought that, if things were really serious, it would all stop. People would sober up. Instead, a large part of the US has hit the bottle even harder.

Respected Contributor

Me, me, me......   And to be protesting because they want to go to the beach!

The pictures on tv over past months have not been given any thought because 

"I" and "me" were not involved.    No, it's not about getting business or economy back.  Ridiculous!

Respected Contributor

30 million are seeking unemployment aid...I'll take a wild guess that's why. When leaders make dumb-bad decisions people are going go push back & sadly that's when all the good decisions go out with the bad.

Honored Contributor

Arrogance, ignorance, selfishness, taking away freedoms of those who are doing what they should do and listening to experts, not buffoons and unstable people, this is what I think about it.  I am not saying each and every person is wrong but sadly those who do go out with masks and keep distance are in in harm's way because of the wrong doers.

I will add those imbeciles with their assault rifles and guns who are storming the state house and trying to intimidate others are a disgrace to this country.  It has nothing to do with freedom, the motives behind it are far from that.  My opinion.