Honored Contributor

Re: What in the world is happening to this forum......?????

Kachina -- Go click on Community Chat again.  Then look down the list of threads until you find this one.  There should be a little arrow to the left of the thread's title.  That arrow indicates you posted on a thread.  

I still don't know how long the arrows stay though.  I need to check that out tomorrow.

Trusted Contributor

I feel like posting a comment in the "Suggestion Box" to the mods asking them to please stop poofing topics that are a bit controversial. They are being overboard ridiculous in what they are poofing. Life is not a bowl of cherries but they are asking us to think so. What do you think?
Honored Contributor

@PeterDM wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

It is counterproductive in terms of traffic to eliminate so many subtopics yet keep both Among Friends and Community Chat.  One of these forums negates tne necessity of the other.  

They are supposed to be different.  Community Chat is a lame name - but it is supposed be the new Viewpoints, which is different from Among Friends.  Also, I may not be among friends in community chat - lol  Smiley LOLSmiley SurprisedSmiley Tongue

I still don't understand the difference.  If I walk into my neighborhood community center and the room is divided in half with one side designated "Community Chat," while the other "Among Friends," I'm not sure I'd know which side I should be visiting.  Even "Viewpoints" vs. "Among Friends" doesn't make sense to me.  Both seem to be about discussing general topics.  If they're going to consolidate Books and TV (which, by the way is extremely insulting to people who are readers and have no interest in the real housewives of Perth Amboy), then they can certainly consolidate "Among Friends" and "Community Chat."

There was always a very big difference between the 'nicer' forums, like mom to mom and Among Friends, and the emotionally charged Viewpoints.

The Mom and Friend forums (along with ones like pets, home garden etc.) were more for sharing, support, and help. Most of the time, both posts and responses were kind, helpful, and civil.

Viewpoints, was much more contentious. Topics that were much more emotionally charged, and some that were actually against standards were allowed to be debated, people were more frank, and often rather unkind. The topics were sometimes based on politics, religion, race, current events that were about hot button issues, and the opinions would fly.

Q doesn't want most of those old Viewpoints topics discussed, and they are trying to eliminate them. Many here want that type of a category back, and to itself, as those of us who posted there, don't want to infringe on the kinder more help centered and support centered topics. 

So people can remind us all they want that those topics have always been 'forbidden', and violate standards and rules, but they were here, and we like them, and anyone who wanted to avoid them was able to because it had it's own place. 

I have posted in all of the above mentioned places, depending on what I was interested in. Many people posted in all of them, some not, It was easier to know what you were getting into when you started posting when Viewpoints was an option. 

Viewpoints was much more than 'discussing general topics'. It was much more real and socially relevant and these boards aren't as good without it, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@orangegarnet wrote:

What difference does it make? Times they are a changing and seems the  Qs moderation is cracking down.  It's their site and they can do as they please. Hoping that bashing fellow posters and smart remarks are a thing of the past.  🙈🙉🙊

It makes a lot of difference.

For one, if Q had lots of people who want to converse in the way we did on Viewpoints, and they no longer provide a place, those customers weill go away.

Second, if there is no Viewpoints type place, people will contaminate the other threads with those type topics, and not only will some be offended, they will be a mess to try to navigate and see what the forum is really about.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Long as the nastiness towards other posters is stopped, then I don't care what the Q does..  They can change whatever they want.  The contention happened in a lot of forums, beauty was a war zone, some came into AF and lots of topics started in Viewpoints was against standards, and that was started, generally, by the same posters.  It is the Qs site, they'll do as they darn well pleases.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

I've never been nasty, that's just the way I am. Altho, some nastiness has been directed at me.
Honored Contributor

@Himi lover wrote:
I've never been nasty, that's just the way I am. Altho, some nastiness has been directed at me.

Himi, I, as  well, have tried not to be nasty towards anyone but I've been talked about right in front of my face, words said several years ago about my son- which this particular person still continues to post, which is fine I just stay far, far away from those nasty tentacles.  People don't realize what issues those are going through when those daggers are tossed about so freely, so moving threads around and whatever the Q does isn't priority for me, and that is my opinion. 

I'm glad the Q is being moderated so closely, we'll all get accustomed and continue to post.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Himi lover wrote:
I feel like posting a comment in the "Suggestion Box" to the mods asking them to please stop poofing topics that are a bit controversial. They are being overboard ridiculous in what they are poofing. Life is not a bowl of cherries but they are asking us to think so. What do you think?

If you read the new board rules, we aren't allowed to discuss anything controversial.  Period.  There is no level of controversial that they let go.  If they deem it controversial, it goes. 

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Himi lover wrote:

If you read the new board rules, we aren't allowed to discuss anything controversial.  Period.  There is no level of controversial that they let go.  If they deem it controversial, it goes. 

Yea, I get that.  I can see if a subject goes downhill, gets completely nasty, but they are poofing just minor comments too.  How boring is this place gonna get?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope that Among Friends can be completely restored, as it's a strong group here. 

I have always preferred Viewpoints to other forums because its posters (often people around my age, midlife to later life) offer their thoughts on life and current events from a similar group of key experiences. Not too many of us are millennials.  Many are Baby Boomers or Gen X. 

We live very different kinds of lives, which in itself interests me.  But we also share a broad historical context, life as it was 20-40+ years ago, which shapes some of our views.

That shared context is what I cannot really share with younger friends--though they are a delight in their own way. 

Anyhow, this is why I return to Viewpoints--not for perfect unity of opinions, which is impossible and would be boring anyway.