Respected Contributor

Re: What have you thrown away by accident?

my glasses.dont ask me how or why,just that i caught my mistake before taking to the trash can

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Diamonds! I had three certified loose diamonds, about 1/3-ct each, wrapped in tissue which I had placed inside a small box. One day I took them out to show them to a friend while we were having lunch at my house. I must have picked them up thinking it was a used napkin and tossed it in the trash! How dumb of me to do that. I still think about it to this day. 

Familiar story to me. I travelled for business years ago and when I packed to fly home I took off a heavy custom made classic gold and black onyx pendant, a gift that I couldn't afford at that time. I took it off to keep it safe and wrapped it on one of the heavy paper shoe shine mitts that were common hotel freebies at the time.

When I came home I unpacked, tired and sleepy. I threw it out with the trash. I think I tought it was kleenex, too. That was over 40 years ago and I still feel the pain!

On a lighter note I'm pretty sure I threw away a perfectly good Mark Charles Micelli egg cooker during a clean out last year. Not as much pain and I have a replacement. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have thrown away my silverware with the paper plates. My sister always buys me a silverware set every few years because she knows I do this. She actually bought me the same set so that I can just add on to what's left. I believe she bought the second set with the first and held on to it til the time was right. I have also thrown the gold filters for the coffee pot out because my husband lines it with the paper one too. The little basket for the sink drain is another one that always goes out. My dustpan too. My mom threw her dental partial out. 

Honored Contributor

I have thrown away a few checks (such as rebate checks)

A few, like the one from Costco, were replaceable.

I now use my bank app to deposit any checks received, as soon as I get them.  No more getting them mixed up with the junk mail.

Honored Contributor

A brand new yellow Eureka canister vacuum.  I had a new one and an old one, slightly different models.  We went to the dump (no trash pickup here in the woods) and DH said look out the back window of the pickup and see if that is the right vacuum.  I looked and said yes.  It took me years to live that one down.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut Why didn't you notify the issuer of the check - explain - request a new check?

You could hold the new one for 2 - 3 - 4 months before cashing to prove you didn't cash the first (one)

Assume this happened a while ago so.....too late now.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I literally just went on Amazon to buy forks yesterday because I can only find one or two. I have absolutely no idea where they have all gone. I obviously assume they were thrown out, but seems like it’s just too many for that to be true!

I bought a Louis DelOlio blouse that I never wore and could never find and assume was thrown out when I threw out other Q bags.

edited to add...apparently I'm not the only one losing my forks.  Just got a message from Amazon that they are "delayed" and will be delivered a day or two later. 🙁

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
I literally just went on Amazon to buy forks yesterday because I can only find one or two. I have absolutely no idea where they have all gone. I obviously assume they were thrown out, but seems like it’s just too many for that to be true!

I bought a Louis DelOlio blouse that I never wore and could never find and assume was thrown out when I threw out other Q bags.

@Alter Ego I have that issue with spoons.  I know I'm not throwing them out, but not sure where they went.  They did stop disappearing after my daughter and her son moved out so......  I currently have about 3 different styles of spoons in my drawer, none of them a full set.

Honored Contributor

My favorite weeding tool, several times.  Luckily, only the first time did it disappear forever, and then I had to make a new one.  The first one happend by accident when a metal 3-prong cultivator broke at the weld leaving me only the middle prong.  To make the new one, I had to use a hot tool to heat the weld until I could hammer it and it broke off.  However, the newer tool isn't as good as the old one as the older finger was at a 90 degree angle and the newer one is a little less, so it slips out from under the roots a little easier.  I might not throw it out so much if I painted the handle somthing besides wood which matches what I'm throwing out.  Several times I have had to dig through yard debris looking for that tool.

Honored Contributor

I'm feeling regretful as though the loses were mine. Maybe I actually do have empathy.