Honored Contributor

Re: What have you thrown away by accident?

I can't remember ever throwing away anything important by mistake.  

I am that very OCD person who has a designated place for everything, and keeps up with my stuff.   

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, my husbands W2. 

Super Contributor

Social Security Card. Didn't realize it until I went to renew my drivers license.

Super Contributor

In December I accidentally threw away some brand new earrings. I thought I had taken them out of the bag, but later discovered I tossed them out with the bag.

More recently, I threw away my Covid vaccination card. Yup! Why couldn't they have made the cards just a bit smaller so they'd fit in a wallet? Luckily, my primary care doctor has a record of it, and I was able to get a print out in case I ever need to show proof. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wow.  Just think of all the expensive jewelry and money in our cities' landfills!

Forty-plus Christmases ago, someone gave me a new electric coffee percolator.  When it came time to pick up and toss all the Christmas wrapping paper and empty boxes,  I accidentally picked up the percolator's cord with all the crumpled paper.   The next morning I was going to make coffee in my new percolator ... and no cord.  No cord = no coffee.  So I went thru all the dumpsters at our apartment building and finally (!) found it.  Whew!

I've been very paranoid about picking up Christmas trash ever since.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

A certification for a valuable ruby I have.  It certifies it's a natural Burma ruby.  It 's tranparency, grade of diamonds, purity of platinum, etc.etc. I still have my certification for my ceylon sapphire.  At least that.  I could kick myself for throwing that other one away.

Super Contributor

All the responses about cutlery being thrown away reminded me of my mother's routine after holiday family dinners.  Back then she had sterling silver cutlery stored in a special box that that deterred tarnishing that she used for special occasions.  No trash was to be taken out until every piece of cutlery was washed, dried, counted, and back in the box.  Guess I know where my mild OCD comes from!

Man plans. God laughs.
Trusted Contributor

My Pizza cutter was left in the box and dumped didn't realize it till I ordered Pizza again. 

Honored Contributor

My DH's wedding ring.

He wasn't allowed to wear it to work so he only wore it on the weekends.  Then when the work week started, he would take it off and toss it in a basket that was on the bathroom counter that held hair accessories and brushes.  I decided to clean out the basket and toss some of the brushes and combs.  His ring must have been stuck in one of the brushes and I didn't notice it and tossed it.  By the time the weekend rolled around and he went to put the ring on, the garbage had been picked up.     

Contributor

My glasses!