Contributor

Re: What has your recent experience been with Uber or Lyft?

I’ve used Lyft exclusively because of a year’s free membership with my credit card and have really enjoyed it a lot. Now I’m stewing because the membership cost is up $40 and I’m not sure about renewing. I’ve loved knowing exactly when the car will arrive.
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

When I needed alternate transportation....I've used regular taxi service and have been pleased with my experience---Here the taxi companies do a thorough background check on the drivers, all vehicles are inspected for safety and cleanliness.  Not so with Uber or Lyft.....so I dont use them at all! Not very flattering reviews by word of mouth or in the press either for those two companies....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

Not very recent, but I think my experience is worth mentioning as a cautionary warning.

I used Uber a few times to get to and from the airport.  I scheduled in advance.

The last time I scheduled in advance, the confirmed driver was a no show.  I tried calling him multiple times, and he kept hanging up on me.  I tried to cancel on the app, but it wouldn't let me, and warned that I might still be charged for the ride.

After about 30 minutes of this, I jumped in my car and raced to the airport.  Fortunately, I still made my flight, but NEVER again will I use Uber for an important, time-sensitive ride. 

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Honored Contributor

@Spurt
I’ve seen some pretty gross, old taxi cabs around here. Not even an option. 🤢
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac . That was a tragic case. But no way was Uber involved in this. The young lady simply go into a car without verifying that it was her Uber ride. Always ask before you enter the vehicle who are you here for?  You have a picture of the car, the driver and  the license # on your phone. It is an extremely safe way to get around. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't used Uber since my last trip in late 2019, so I'm confused about the complaints about drivers only wanting cash.

The whole point of the app was that it is all about technology.  They consider themselves a technology company, not a service.  There has never been cash involved when I used the service.

I have the lyft app and set up an account but I don't think I ever used it.  I set up both just in case I was in an area that had better service with one over the other.

My home town has no Uber or Lyft service, although you can order a taxi through Uber's Uber Taxi service.  But if I need a ride in my town, I just call the taxi company directly, I don't go through Uber.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Used Uber in Annapolis a few years ago that the Hotel recommended.  Well, the car was very  nice and clean but the driver wanted cash . The next night I used a cab and found the Uber rate was  alot more expensive  for a ride from the Hotel to  various restaurants.

Frequent Contributor

Hi! New here.but wanted to agree with you.

Super Contributor

I think the pandemic has reduced the reliability of Uber and Lyft.  You have reduced travel, extra unemployment, then the skyrocketing cost of gas has caused a lot of previous drivers to quit.  Those that are still driving are hit or miss.

I had some warranty work done at my car and the dealership paid for an Uber to take me from my house to get my car. This woman picked me up (in a rather old and dirty car) and, even though she had gps on her phone, kept asking me if she was going in the right direction. That was first red flag. But then she drove so recklessly that I was terrified. Weaving in and out of traffic, coming dangerously close to hitting other cars, etc. I should have said something but I didn't because I kept thinking how she knew where I lived.

I used Uber before the pandemic and never had this experience before. I do think your "higher quality drivers" have found better employment and those now that drive are a bit more questionable.

Honored Contributor

@DesertGems, press the @ key and a list of poster nics will pop up.  That way everyone knows who it is you agree with.  Or you can be lazy and hust heart the post 😊

Welcome to the boards.