Honored Contributor

Re: What has your recent experience been with Uber or Lyft?

I use both, for the most part I am very satisfied. I have met drivers from all over the world and had good conversations with so many of them.  If they want to talk I will, if not that's fine. I have spotless cars and not so spotless/dirty. 

As long as I get safely from point A to point B I am happy. Covid is still affecting the number of available drivers, at least where I live. It's a longer wait for rides, you have to pay more for faster pickup.

Drivers should never ask for ride payment in cash. They're paid through the app. I always tip, through the app. In the past I have occasionally tipped with cash.

I always rate them five stars and always ride with manners. I need to keep my rider rating high so I can get rides when I need them.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I’ve used Lyft probably 2 dozen times, including to and from the airport and a number of times when I knew I was too tired to drive back and forth to work.

ZERO complaints. Clean nice cars. Polite. Never any discussion of money: all of that is handled on the phone app.
Respected Contributor

We use Lyft when we are in Chicago visiting my daughter. She uses Lyft quite a lot. We have never had a problem with the drivers or the vehicles and never had a driver not show up. We pay with a credit card that is loaded on the Lyft app.  The fare is automatically billed to the credit card on file. After the ride is over you get a text asking if you want to leave a tip, how much and asking you to rate the driver. I have never been asked by a driver for cash or a credit card.   Like Bri369 I thought it was a cashless system and this made things so much safer for the drivers and the passengers. 

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I’ve used Lyft probably 2 dozen times, including to and from the airport and a number of times when I knew I was too tired to drive back and forth to work.

ZERO complaints. Clean nice cars. Polite. Never any discussion of money: all of that is handled on the phone app.

I've had the same positive experience....mostly going to & from the airport.

Honored Contributor

CourtTV is currently doing the trial of that college student who was killed after getting into a "stranger's" car thinking it was Uber.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

I haven't used either one, but I don't understand why the Uber driver would ask how much the rider wants to pay. I thought costs were already determined by miles and peak times. Unless that means tipping, which is another issue. 

@teganslaw @Not how much; how...the method of payment. Some of them want cash in hand.

@Mindy D   You don't pay the driver.  You pay on the App.  You can either tip the driver or on the App.  I don't see how the driver would know or care how you paid.  You have to use a credit card since you pay on the App.

I've always been very satisfied with Uber but have never used Lyft.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I've used Uber twice in the last couple years and the service was fine.  But it was more expensive than expected - $30 + tip for five miles or so.  Next time, I'll check out the cab. 

Esteemed Contributor

My experience with Uber and Lyft is mostly to/from airports or while vacationing and have had nothing but really good experiences.

However, I did just read an experience from a neighbor on Nextdoor where she was out with her friends and responsibly depended on Uber to and from home. She was 3.4 miles from her home, it was 11:30 pm on a Saturday night and she was charged $82.00. 

Apparently Saturday night Ubers are in high demand!😳

Honored Contributor

I find both to be far more appealing than cabs.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:
I’ve used both Uber and Lyft and they were both excellent.

@reiki604 @Recently? Do drivers care if you use your credit card on file?

That's the only way to pay. I've never known a Uber driver to  acccept cash for the ride. I know what the ride will cost when I order the ride on the app. No surprises. I've used Uber in a number ofl states and my CC is attached to my account on the app. That's one of the thngs I like most. I don't have to deal with cash. Any tip is also placed on the app.

eta: I've read about safety concerns here but you are given the make and model, license plate, picture and name of driver. I check all that and before I get into the car ask who are you looking for. If they say my name and everything else checks out, I'll get in. Simply taking basic security steps will keep you safe.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown