Honored Contributor

Re: What has caused or allowed you to develop patience?

[ Edited ]

The first thing that came to my mind:  observing - and interacting with - animals.

Especially the companions that I was blessed with..

My first pet arrived when I was 4, but would have been two years earlier had I gotten my 'way', LOL.

There's more life experiences, of course.... 

Honored Contributor

I have infinite patience for animals. People are my problem.
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I have always been patient, unless I am in pain or someone I care about has a severe emergency, or I would be late to work. I like stopping for lights!  I started my teaching career as an Exceptional Education Teacher, a job where my patience was essential.

Trusted Contributor

My father's stroke, my mother's dementia, my sister's diagnosis with stage 4 cancer, and my own battles with cancer complications -- all "hitting" in a short time--taught me that I am not the center of the universe and certainly not in control.  Those realizations helped me to refocus, center my life spiritually, and breathe.  Patience is much easier now. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

It's not easy for some to develop patience in life.

For me, I found that having a child absolutely required that I bring things down several notches and be patient - a whole new mind set for me.

Additionally, a different kind of patience was required when working with patients and physicians.

Lastly, I found it necessary to really dampen the adrenalin that courses through my body and slow down my racing thoughts when handing human tissue during microvscular surgery, which is exceedingly more difficult than on a gross scale found in suturing a laceration.  (My brain is always busy - too busy.  Microvascular surgery made me change that.  For many surgeons it's a matter of a type of music to get the brain going in the right direction.  One of my docs would not perform Micro without Sinatra.  I loved Sinatra, too, and had quite a CD collection for the OR, so when I retired gifted him with nearly al of my CDs.  He was one happy guy with a happy brain.)

Through these life experiences I am not the person I was at 30.  I'm better for them.

What has caused you to develop patience during your lie?

My grand baby.

Working in child care.

Working and moving to a small town.

Assistant to tribal administrator.

Working in the medical field.

Learning and working as an EMT, firefighter.

I have learned a lot from working with Doctors, Surgeons and Nurses, FNP.

Having a sense of humor.

Losing my brother in-law in his 30s in May, my mother in June, My mother in-law in July last year and my uncle in April of this year.

Working with Hospice.

When it comes to myself, when I am not helping or contributing to others, I feel like I don't have patience, I am in pain.

I worry, my mind always has thoughts running through it.

There is a saying I'll try to remember "if you cannot change it, don't worry about it" or if worrying about it doesn't change things, stop worrying about it? Something like that? Does being a so called "worry wart" mean that you do not have patience??

I say prayers and Gods Blessings to you all that have gone through so much, it gives me insight, strength and  better understanding...

Thank you for sharing

One common thread I've notice is that you all have courage, strength, kindness and are compassionate and have perseverance!

Take care of your self so you can take care of others.~ sunshine&rainbows

Esteemed Contributor

I'll let you know when it happens. LOL.

Respected Contributor

Children and aging parents tried my patience.  So that isn’t the answer to your question.

Like so many others here, I am a cancer survivor. Twenty-four years out this month. Not bad for someone given less than a 1% chance of a one year survival.  I’ve said all these years since that having cancer improved my life. I’m stubborn like that–have to learn things the hard way, I guess.

Cancer taught me I’m not in charge.  And you know what?   It was a relief.  “Let go and let God.”   There’s my answer to your question, Sfnative.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I never had thought I was a patient person.  I never gave it much thought.  But over the years, so many people have told me that I am.  I am one of those people who don't have a lot of self-confidence and don't take a compliment easily.  I tend to recognize my bad qualities but not my good ones so much.  But, I finally realized that I do have a lot of patience.  

My husband for one instance --- is not an easy person -- but he has many good qualities.  I know though that if I didn't have the patience of a saint, things would never had worked out between the 2 of us!!!  LOL!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What has caused or allowed you to develop patience?

Could be my maternal genetics. I suspect them to be the cause of my cardiovascular problems, and I sure want to give my mother the credit and praise for being a big part of who I am. 

That along with being a Ref in ice hockey for over 30 years. Learned about age 15 that getting excited about things, especially before I know all the details? Even worse.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Working with and teaching love and trust to abused and dumped small dogs (especially Silky Terriers). Please rescue if you can. This is a great place to start.      http://silkyrescue.tripod.com/