Honored Contributor

Re: What has caused or allowed you to develop patience?

I lose patience more and more as I age.  I have to fight it daily, and I do.  I am alone . . . a lot.  I  have tried to stop looking at the clock.  Time is my enemy.

The days drag on, but the weeks fly by.  And the years . . . five seem like one to me.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Patience is defined as the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset. 

I learned patience in a huge way when diagnosed with uterine cancer six months following retirement.  I thought I had always been a patient person but the reality of cancer certainly strengthened my resolve.  My initial reaction to the diagnoses was to gracefully accept the fact I had cancer.  I never asked "why me?"  Secondly, the determination and willpower and fortitude to go through subsequent surgery and radiation treatments gave me a new perspective to enjoy life to the full and take each day as it came, one day at a time.  Along with patience I developed a "never give up" attitude that I was going to fight like h*ll to survive. 

Six months following the initial diagnoses I was again diagnosed with cancer; this time it was breast cancer.  Again, surgery and radiation treatments offered me the best solution for remission and I recall telling my oncologist to be careful when performing exams.  After all, with 70+ radiation treatments in the span of less than 12 months I told him I may light up like a Christmas tree.  A sense of humor is so important even when dealing with cancer and/or other health issues.  And a "never give up" attitude is essential IMHO.

I thank God every day for my remission status which is now over fifteen years.  I am so grateful for each new day with all its ups and downs and the gift of faith and patience it has taught me.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

I didn't learn patience from my cancer diag.........going through a year and a half of chemo, six weeks of radiation, or getting the use of my left arm back was just what you had to do with a diag like that.........it was more of a, considering the alternative kinda deals........dead or inconvenienced........I went with "mild" inconvenience.

I HAVE learned patience from raising our kids,  four boys and 1 girl...........actually the boys are the ones who taught me patience............... and the police's use of forensic evidence  kept them alive on occasion.............so we both won, I learned patience and they learned the value of science.......win/win..........................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

Raising my children and having elderly parents.

THIS!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I think age and learning life lessons has a lot to do with it.

If you're paying attention, that is.

Honored Contributor

I think I've always had patience in the sense of waiting to get something. 

But personal patience, not yelling at drivers, for example, or taking more time with people, I learned from having my own child and setting a better example.  And later even more so by realizing that a pet needs a patient and understanding person.  Your pet does not know that your raised voice is not directed at him or her.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Faith, children, marriage, illness, elderly parents, trauma

I guess in one word...LIFE!

Honored Contributor

Honestly?  It was marriage :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

God's Word says in James 1:2,3 "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience." Knowing that makes me think twice about asking for patience.....LOL!

snappy Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

Working as a nurse for 50 years and advocacy work with victims of violence as an attorney.