Esteemed Contributor

What has caused or allowed you to develop patience?

It's not easy for some to develop patience in life.

For me, I found that having a child absolutely required that I bring things down several notches and be patient - a whole new mind set for me.

Additionally, a different kind of patience was required when working with patients and physicians.

Lastly, I found it necessary to really dampen the adrenalin that courses through my body and slow down my racing thoughts when handing human tissue during microvscular surgery, which is exceedingly more difficult than on a gross scale found in suturing a laceration.  (My brain is always busy - too busy.  Microvascular surgery made me change that.  For many surgeons it's a matter of a type of music to get the brain going in the right direction.  One of my docs would not perform Micro without Sinatra.  I loved Sinatra, too, and had quite a CD collection for the OR, so when I retired gifted him with nearly al of my CDs.  He was one happy guy with a happy brain.)

Through these life experiences I am not the person I was at 30.  I'm better for them.

What has caused you to develop patience during your lie?

Honored Contributor

Re: What has caused or allowed you to develop patience?

Yep, that having a child thing, did a lot over time to develop patience.

And just age. Seeing, after the fact, how being impatient and impulsive got me nowhere (or worse off than I wanted to be) in many situations gave me the perspective to tone it down a notch or two most of the time.

Honored Contributor

So many things going on now-a-days that we hear about in an instant.  So, patience is handy, because we really can't solve/stop all of the bad things.  Maybe focusing on one or two important issues in our own communities..........things that we can change or modify right in our own back yards.  Anyway, it's a step in the right direction, more or less.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I agree with Mom. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Slowing down helps..........not rushing around all day long.  I'm now thinking that slowing down does automatically give us patience.  Being impatient is usually related to having to be somewhere in a hurry, which causes us to be irritated/impatient when obstacles are in our way.  I don't know..........just thinking out loud.  Interesting topic.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

For me it's my faith in God, or a Higher Power, if you want to think of it that way.  Knowing that everything happens for a reason, and that even though things may not work out when I want or how I want, they will work out the right way for me, if I keep plugging ahead.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Raising my children and having elderly parents.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

I've always had a lot of patience, even when I was little.  It always amazed my Mother when I would do tedious and time consuming projects as I talk a lot. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

Patience came for me along with growing older and just being smarter!  I feel wisdom and maturity help with having patience!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Prayer

Kids

Mom w/dementia

Life Experience

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy