Respected Contributor

Re: What happens when you visit local Senior Center!

@dulwich wrote:

Being new to area where we are I now living heard a lot about the ‘great activities’ being offered by above.  Never been part of a group Center before so checked it out yesterday.

Today I am now enrolled in class one how to play ukelele, class 2 line dancing, class 3 yoga - and on Fall wait list Bocce ball team!

Plus DH and I very cordially invited to their anniversary dinner last night so we went and it was great.

Ages range from 56 years to 85+ and the place - a very beautiful building - was packed.

About 8 years ago when visiting here saw group playing and singing ukuleles on beach, barefoot and happy - great fun - and I met some of them last night - love this so hope I learn fast as they still meet every weekend a.m. on beach to play and sing.  All my classes start next week - so be careful visiting your local Senior Center lol.

I would like to live where you live.  We have a senior center but it is depressing.  They offer adult coloring. 

We did visit one in Tennessee when we lived there part time and the people were so lively and fun.  

Respected Contributor

Would like to offer a suggestion.

When you go to a center and they do not offer much to do then why not try to start something else. For example if coloring is only offered why not bring a deck of cards and play solitaire by yourself, and see if anyone else would like to play a card game with you.  Bring in dominoes and see if anyone would like to play that with you. Bring in pick-up sticks, a puzzle, a game board game, anything to be played with people. Just sit at a table and try.

It only takes one person to take a chance and make a difference. Surely there are others who wish they had something else to do besides coloring or whatever. The center provides the place to go but individuals can choose what they do there at a table. If unsure you can ask the director about it.

It is sharing with others and being with others but you need to take the first step, and chance doing things by trying things and going.

Honored Contributor

I will be 65 in Feb and have no real interest in joining, I called to find out about the exercise classes and given  song and dance about having to fill out paper work, getting a drs memo and paying at 6 dollars each time I visit, I kw the last part to be untrue, that is only if you stay for lunch.

My other half is retiring in May and maybe at that point we will investigate

The Senior Center is located in the catering hall at the town pool, they are relocating to a new facility being built on site next to the caterer

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@dulwich   What a great experience you had.  I love that you started this thread because for years I've been thinking of joining one of our many senior centers, and just haven't yet done so. I think you have motivated me, so thank you!  I live in a large city and both my city and the surrounding suburbs have excellent senior centers.   What appeals to me is the fun day trips they take.  

Thank you for starting this thread.   

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee  Yes do check them out,  There was so many activities going on at the one I visited and such active, friendly people!  

I have my ukeleke!  My granddaughter had a bright pink one - never used - which she said I can have.  I’ll be on that beach yet a strumming and a singin - I hope!

Esteemed Contributor

Mine offers zumba and weight classes.  They 're packed. Most are in their 60,s,. No charge for classes and you don,t have to be a member of the center.  

Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition  The local one I went to membership is  $25.00 a year and classes for non members range from free to $3.00.  

There are so many activities, card games, book clubs, coffee and chat, movies and popcorn, well being groups, Zumba, yoga, music,  line dancing, crafts - so many more happening 5 days a week plus monthly catered dinner and ‘events’ abd outings.  Think this could keep us busy!

Esteemed Contributor

@dulwich 

@dulwich wrote:

@qvcaddition  The local one I went to membership is  $25.00 a year and classes for non members range from free to $3.00.  

There are so many activities, card games, book clubs, coffee and chat, movies and popcorn, well being groups, Zumba, yoga, music,  line dancing, crafts - so many more happening 5 days a week plus monthly catered dinner and ‘events’ abd outings.  Think this could keep us busy!

Yes, ours has all that.  I just do zumba, because I belong to a gym that my HMO offers free.  I will check about the book club.  I have a busy schedule , because of home and a Couple of clubs I belong.  We have free coffee and danish, lots of activies.

Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition   How do you like Zumba?  I fancy having a try - have done aerobics and jazzercise but Zumba looks like lots of set routines going very fast - seems hard to follow but music good.

Trusted Contributor

My mother goes to get senior center and they have a lot of GREAT things to do!! But I also compared it to other centers in lower income areas and rural arwas. Those centers had a lot less trips and extra curricular activities!  I also learned to not just go to ONE center but go to different locations based on the events.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!