Respected Contributor

What happens when you visit local Senior Center!

Being new to area where we are I now living heard a lot about the ‘great activities’ being offered by above.  Never been part of a group Center before so checked it out yesterday.

Today I am now enrolled in class one how to play ukelele, class 2 line dancing, class 3 yoga - and on Fall wait list Bocce ball team!

Plus DH and I very cordially invited to their anniversary dinner last night so we went and it was great.

Ages range from 56 years to 85+ and the place - a very beautiful building - was packed.

About 8 years ago when visiting here saw group playing and singing ukuleles on beach, barefoot and happy - great fun - and I met some of them last night - love this so hope I learn fast as they still meet every weekend a.m. on beach to play and sing.  All my classes start next week - so be careful visiting your local Senior Center lol.

Honored Contributor

Re: What happens when you visit local Senior Center!

I take senior exercises 4 days a week at my local senior center.  But they offer a large variety of activities, including art, computer, etc classes.  It's a very popular place, especially for those who are alone and/or handicapped and come in by a bus transport.

I'm always impressed with the attendees at my exercise classes.  You have to be at least 55 to participate, but we have several folks participating well into their late 80s, and a couple of over 90 year old participants!  Oh, and our exercise classes are free.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich Glad to hear you are doing some of the things you've wanted to do but didn't.

I love it when people come here and tell about some of the things they've learned or done.

It is wonderful to hear about people living joyous lives and being happy.

Speaking for myself.  I like hearing first hand about various places.  

Honored Contributor

I'm using my Sr Ctr and so is my sister and her husband.  

Esteemed Contributor

My DH & I started going to our beautiful sr. center a few months.  They have free movies and popcorn once a month & lots of free entertainers. I am thinking about going there over the winter months to use the exercise equipment for a nominal fee.

My parents started going there as soon as my dad retired at 59.  My mom went to the aerobics classes for over 30 years.  She was going until she turned 93 & passed away at 95.  She fell a lot of times in her later years and just bounced back up.  

Honored Contributor

I live in a rural area, we do have a senior center, but people mostly go there to get their BP taken and to buy a cheap lunch. 

Honored Contributor

You're lucky that there is a nice senior center near you.  Not all places offer them.  I have one near me but it's old and doesn't offer much.  Plus most that attend seem like they are a generation older than me.

Respected Contributor

The thing about going to a senior center is this, it does not matter what they offer in way of lunches or classes et cetera. What is important is that you go. You go to get out of the house, to be with people, to talk with people, and not be alone. It is important to associate with others and to share whatever there is to share. It is healthier to be out of the house than to sit alone inside and sometimes become a hermit and feel loneliness.

Even if you dislike the idea of going, get yourself up and go. It may take you awhile to get the courage up to do so, and you may have to force yourself to do so several times before you realize it was good for you to go.

Some people have friends and do not bother with the centers but others do not and for them it is a place to be.

Honored Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

The thing about going to a senior center is this, it does not matter what they offer in way of lunches or classes et cetera. What is important is that you go. You go to get out of the house, to be with people, to talk with people, and not be alone. It is important to associate with others and to share whatever there is to share. It is healthier to be out of the house than to sit alone inside and sometimes become a hermit and feel loneliness.

Even if you dislike the idea of going, get yourself up and go. It may take you awhile to get the courage up to do so, and you may have to force yourself to do so several times before you realize it was good for you to go.

Some people have friends and do not bother with the centers but others do not and for them it is a place to be.

Well said.  Also, a lot of these people will meet you with open arms and willing to help in many areas.  Accepting, helpful, fun, sharing of memories in some cases, people to visit with, eat with, play grocery bingo, do "bells" and go out to nursing homes and play or the choir will go out and sing.  (They belt them out!!).  But you put some effort into making your Sr Ctr what it is.  It's a small price to pay in my book, for what we can get out of it.  Oh...and ours offers trips too.  

Honored Contributor

You  won't find any 56 year olds or even people in the 60's at any of the Senior Centers in this area.    The activities differ center to center; town to town but they are geered to much older people and the draw is the free lunches.  Hubby volunteers at the one in our town.  Wednesday evenings he does blood pressure checks and does some very basic medical screenings.